The Contents of Baguazhang Training (Baguazhang - Part 2)
We can see from the available documents that Baguazhang covers a very wide field of training. It includes not only barehand techniques, but also many weapons. Even for the Baguazhang developed only in Emei Mountain, there are more than fifteen different barehand routines and many different weapon training routines.
Excluding the barehand routines, and in addition to the four basic weapons: saber, sword, staff, and spear, Baguazhang also uses other weapons such as Spring Autumn Long-Handle Saber, Hook-Sword, Deer Hook Sword, and crutch. Among them, “Deer Hook Sword” (Lu Jiao Dao, is a special and unique weapon to Baguazhang. “Deer Hook Sword” is thus named because they are shaped like deer’s antlers. They are also called the “Zi Wu Yuan Yang Yue” (Zi Wu Mandarin Duck Axe). Zi and Wu are two of the twelve Celestial Stems which represent midnight and noon. Zi also represents the extreme Yin of the day while Wu represents the extreme Yang. The two weapons are used together-like a pair of Mandarin ducks, they are inseparable. Another name for these weapons is “Ri Yue Qian Kun Jian” (Sun Moon Qian Kun Sword). The sun and Qian represent Yang, while the moon and Kun represent Yin.
In this article we will list the various versions of sequences or practice routines for both bare hands and weapons which the authors could find in the available documents. It is impossible to include all in this short article, so for information purposes, we will list some of the available Baguazhang barehand sequences or routines which have developed only at Emei Mountain. From this list, you will see how wide and great Baguazhang has become in China.
Generally Known Baguazhang Sequences
- “Bagua Ba Xing Zhang” (Bagua Eight Shape Palms)
- “Ba Xing Zhang” (Eight Shape Palms)
- “Long Xing Baguazhang” (Dragon Shape Baguazhang)
- “Jiu Gong Sanpanzhang” (Nine Palace Three Coiling Palms)
- “Wu Xing San He Zhang” (Five Element Three Combined Palm)
- “You Shen Bagua Lian Huan Zhang” (Sinuous Body Bagua Linking Sequence)
- “Yin Shi Baguazhang-Liu Shi Si Shi” (Yin Style Baguazhang-Sixty Four Postures)
- “San Shi Liu Tui Fa” (Thirty-Six Leg Techniques)
- “Qi Shi Er Tui Fa” (Seventy-Two Leg Techniques)
- “Cheng Shi Baguazhang” (Cheng Style Baguazhang)
- “Fu Shi Baguazhang” Fu Zhen-Song (Fu Style Baguazhang)
- “Wudang Baguazhang”
- “Jiang’s Baguazhang”
1. “Baguazhang Dui Lian” (Baguazhang Matching Training)
1. Deer Hook Sword:
- “Zi Wu Yuan Yang Yue, Ri Yue Qian Kun Jian, or Lu Jiao Dao” (Deer Hook Sword)
- “Bagua Dao” (Bagua Saber)
- “Lian Huan Jian” (Linking Sword)
- “Lian Huan Chun Yang Jian” (Linking Pure Yang Sword)
- “Bagua Jian” (Bagua Sword) (No publications available.)
- “Lian Huan Pan Long Gun” (Linking Coiling Dragon Staff)
- “Wu Xing Bang” (Five Element Staff)
- “Zhan Shen Qiang” (Battle Body Spear)
- “Bagua Qiang” (Bagua Spear)
6. Other Weapons:
- “Chun Qiu Dao” (Spring Autumn Long-Handle Saber)
- “Bagua Gou” (Bagua Hook-Sword)
- “Bagua Guai” (Bagua Crutch)
Next, we would like to introduce some of the barehand Baguazhang sequences which are practiced in Emei Baguazhang styles.
Emei Barehand Baguazhang
- “Sheng Men Baguazhang” (Generation Door Baguazhang)-Follows the theory of “Yi Jing” which holds that “constant generation is called Yi.”
- “Sheng Men Bagua Da Yin” (Generation Door Baguazhang-Matching Set).
- “Seng Men Baguazhang” (Monk Family Baguazhang)-Monk Family is a martial style from Emei Mountain. From Qing dynasties, Shaolin martial techniques have constantly been imported to Emei Mountain. Many Shaolin monks resided in Emei Mountain, and their combined techniques eventually merged to create this “Monk Family” style.
- “Emei You Shen Bagua Lian Huan Zhang” (Emei Swimming Body Bagua Linking Palms).
- “Emei You Shen Baguazhang” (Emei Swimming Body Baguazhang)-This sequence specializes in neutralizing, withdrawing, and dodging.
- “Emei Bagua Lian Huan Zhang (1)” (Emei Bagua Linking Palm)- Characteristics include circular “muddy walking,” Qi sunk to the Lower Dan Tian, Calmness and Moving mutually adopted, ability to attack and defend, unification of mind and body, Yin-Yang and substantial-insubstantial, opening and closing, stepping lightly and agilely, and walking like a river stream.
- “Emei Long Xing Baguazhang” (Emei Dragon Shape Baguazhang)-Sudden walking, turning, and changing positions.
- “Emei Xian Tian Baguazhang” (Emei Pre-Heaven Baguazhang).
- “Tai Yi Huo Long Baguazhang” (Tai Yi Fire Dragon Baguazhang).
- “Emei Baguazhang” (Emei Baguazhang).
- “Emei Xingyi Baguazhang” (Emei Xingyi Baguazhang).
- "Emei Bagua Mei Hua Zhang” (Emei Bagua Plum Flower Palms).
- “Emei Bagua Lian Huan Zhang (2)”(Emei Bagua Linking Palms).
- “Long Xing Baguazhang” (Dragon Shape Baguazhang).
- “You Shen Long Xing Baguazhang” (Swimming Body Dragon Walking Baguazhang).
- “Emei Qingcheng Baguazhang” (Emei Qingcheng Baguazhang).
- “Emei Yin Yang Baguazhang” (Emei Yin Yang Baguazhang).
The above is only a partial list of the barehand Emei Baguazhang and it does not even include the sequences and training methods of all of the various weapons. Furthermore, there are many other sequences, techniques, and training methods which have not yet been discovered. Chinese “Yin-Yang Bagua” philosophy is very deep and profound. Baguazhang, as an internal martial art, originated from this philosophy and is equally deep and profound. Therefore, it is literally impossible for an individual to learn all forms or styles of Baguazhang in one lifetime, nor is it possible to introduce all of Baguazhang in a single book. What we do hope to contribute (to the best of our ability) is an introduction to this philosophy, theory and practice.This article is based on the Baguazhang book, revised edition, by Grandmaster Liang, Shou-Yu, Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming, and Wen, Ching-Wu. A 180-minute Baguazhang DVD demonstrating the techniques is also available.