Sifu Jeff Bolt

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Sifu Jeff Bolt

Postby JamesC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

I've been considering making a trip down to see some relatives in Houston, Texas and i'm curious if Sifu Bolt still teaches down there?

I'm also curious if what he teaches is very different from the current YMAA curriculum? It doesn't seem that he is affiliated anymore. Does this have anything to do with stylistic differences?

Essentially, I don't wanna meet up and train at his school if i'm going to get conflicting information as far as the curriculum and techniques go.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
JamesC
Forum Newbie

Postby nyang » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 am

Hi James:

As far as I know, Jeff Bolt stopped teaching in Houston many, many years ago. Unfortuately, his engineering job just took over and he spent many years abroad (and might still be). Some of his old students are still in Houston, but there is no formal school there anymore because nobody is managing that.

Content-wise, Jeff´s core training is YMAA. Much of his foundation was from training directly under Dr. Yang. Most of his students have been learning from seminars at YMAA Boston in recent years as well. Of course, our curriculum is also constantly updated over the generations, and instructors will also tend to mix in their background into their teachings and training. Since Jeff is not directing a formal YMAA school at this point, I imagine that the core of what he teaches is essentially YMAA, but stylistically it will probably appear different because we are not enforcing a strict standard for him and his students. It is no different to how two Long Fist schools will probably teach Lian Bu Quan differently, although it is essentially the same core sequence. But of course, Jeff´s training will more closely resemble YMAA´s. But, also because he is no longer hosting a formal YMAA school, he is probably not following the international standard YMAA training curriculum ranking levels.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Nicholas C. Yang
President, YMAA International
Director, YMAA Boston
Nicholas C. Yang
President, YMAA International
Assistant Director, YMAA Retreat Center
http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org
nyang
Admin

Postby JamesC » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for your response. That cleared it up rather nicely for me.
JamesC
Forum Newbie

Return to General Martial Arts discussion