question

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

question

Postby jamesinct » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello forgive my ignorance but I have always wondered what is the difference between the Shaolin and the Wu Dang arts ? did they really battle like portrayed in the old Kung Fu movies , or was it more a friendly rivalry with mutual respect ?
jamesinct
Forum Newbie

Re: question

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Well as far as I remember early historic fiction from pre modern China the Shaolin and the Wu-dang fell out when the Shaolin continued to resist the Manchu even after it was clear it was over. This seems to have been exasperated over a killing at a dye works by a Manchu backed Wu-dang student who then entered Shaolin and after training got revenge. This seems to have lead to tit for tat killings.

This was in the late Qing Dynasty martial arts novel Evergreen I think. It was written shortly after the events and is based on some facts I think.

This is a discussion on it.

http://home.planet.nl/~padbe017/Nan_Shaolin_6.htm

The history of the Pak Mei style also links Wu-dang to the Shaolin temples burning although indirectly.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Martial Arts discussion