YMAA Iron Palm?

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Ralteria » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 pm

On a slightley adjacent topic, wouldn't it be more usefull to train Iron Shirt as oppossed to Iron Palm. From a morality point of view being able to take several solid strikes is extremely advantageous and would seem to be much more "merciful" to allow you to control the situation as opposed to just breaking someones face off or rupturing organs.

While I would love to train Iron Palm, just for the sake of training such an esteemed art, I can't honestly think of a situation in which Iron Palm would benefit me in a day to day scenario that the nei gong and wei gong present in of TCM doesn't already accomplish. I'm just thinking of practicality here. For someone wishing to preserve knowledge, I can completely see the reason but how many practice for completeness and preservation and how many practice for ego? Not saying everyone does, but thats why there is a TV show on now which just has dudes breaking stuff with there bodies.

While I train to be a better fighter, the more I train the more I realize I'm training to be a better human being. And in the end, if I want to kill someone, there are more efficient ways than spending years plunging my hands in pebbles. Thats why they make firearms.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 pm

"Useful". Yes, exactly.

If you practice iron hand, you can break stuff. Awesome.

If you practice iron shirt, your health is improved. You don't get sick easily. You live longer with a higher quality of life. And, you understand the process so you can help others to do the same.

That's much more valuable in my opinion.

If you're interested in fighting, or violence, iron shirt wont really help you. The boxer rebellion proved that. Guns changed everything.

Yes, you're body becomes tougher, but guns and knives are common nowadays.

http://www.smplanet.com/imperialism/fists.html
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Ralteria » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Dvivid wrote:
If you're interested in fighting, or violence, iron shirt wont really help you. The boxer rebellion proved that. Guns changed everything.

Thats very true. And while it doesn't speak well of the people I have associated with (in the past) I can count the same number of times that I have been in a physical altercation as I can one with a handgun (albiet twice for both). And no, not me with a gun. So the threat is very real.

Interestingly enough, I thought I read somewhere that the time it takes the reflexes to pull a gun, take off the safety, and fire is much more than it takes to pull a knife and cover a few yards to an assailant. I would think it would be even quicker hand to hand. It would seem probable that most gun assault would happen with the gun already pulled however.

Isn't Iron Shirt part of marrow/brain washing? I'm lost when it comes to the higher levels of Qigong.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby yeniseri » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 am

Ralteria wrote:
Dvivid wrote:

Thats very true. And while it doesn't speak well of the people I have associated with (in the past) I can count the same number of times that I have been in a physical altercation as I can one with a handgun (albiet twice for both). And no, not me with a gun. So the threat is very real.

Interestingly enough, I thought I read somewhere that the time it takes the reflexes to pull a gun, take off the safety, and fire is much more than it takes to pull a knife and cover a few yards to an assailant. I would think it would be even quicker hand to hand. It would seem probable that most gun assault would happen with the gun already pulled however.

Isn't Iron Shirt part of marrow/brain washing? I'm lost when it comes to the higher levels of Qigong.

There are a few instances where a well known fighters thought they could dodge bullets and they lost! Regardless of how one imagines he is tough, the bigger gun (even the smaller one i.e.calibre) wins.

People believe and know they can carry guns but you have to consider age, agility, abilityy, reflexes, location, etc in utility. It may be safe from the kids but it takes the owner forever to find it, load it, remember where it was put and in end, having the weapon did not help unless "conceal and carry" or having it in the trunk of your pickup.!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 am

Are there hand massages on Dr Yangs Chi Gong massage DVD?
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: YMAA Iron Palm?

Postby AnnDempsey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:51 pm

There are a few instances where a well known fighters thought they could dodge bullets and they lost! Regardless of how one imagines he is tough, the bigger gun (even the smaller one i.e.calibre) wins.

that's right..

Take things as they are. Punch with large sap gloves when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.”
Last edited by AnnDempsey on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnDempsey
Just Arrived

Re: YMAA Iron Palm?

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm

AnnDempsey wrote:There are a few instances where a well known fighters thought they could dodge bullets and they lost! Regardless of how one imagines he is tough, the bigger gun (even the smaller one i.e.calibre) wins.

that's right..

You cant dodge a bullet in the air but I wouldn't discount the possibility that some people are good at not standing where people are going to shoot.
I have seen videos of Filipino police training to cover a fair bit of ground before a gun can be pulled and cocked. Also pistol shooting inaccuracy against a moving target at moderate range under presser and there are historical instances of people avoiding being shot by running. Still you would be a fool or very confident to test this with live ammo. I would give it ago with paintball munitions as at short range it would be sufficiently fast to be a real test, still I would have to work on my agility for a few weeks first.

Also anyone putting a gun against another persons body is to close and can be defeated with a cool head. A lot of people are also unprepared to kill and so will miss you, I have read a few studies on this.

Interesting comments on an Aikido community forum about O'Sensei famous "dodging" bullets stunt.

There seems to be a kind of confusion here. There is nothing about O'Sensei "dodging" bullets. Gozo Shioda made it very clear that something very strange went on. The whole thing was reportedly done twice, and both times Shioda Sensei tried to keep his eyes on his teacher. Both times he somehow disappeared. My feeling is that to vote "yes" on this poll is to believe that somehow Morihei Ueshiba was capable of doing things that can't be explained using what is commonly thought to be known about reality.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3986

An Iron palm would give you the ability to end a fight very quickly at close range and this is no doubt useful in many situations.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Previous

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu