Tai Chi real applications and adreniline rush

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Postby jfraser » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 am

Eric,

Some WC questions, from what I remember in Seattle's Chinatown in 1962.

You a have had real fights, and arm slapping as "block" preferable behind the elbow, deflecting, and checking or pinning an arm to a persons side, work in these encounters.

Also, I had an encounter with a WC guy in a park in CA, and it did not go anywhere, but I had the feeling that his opening posture protecting his center line, AND was also and invitation for me to move the 45 degree side and his back and catch his floating rib with angling long fist PUNCH movements.
I also had the feeling that this what he was tring to set me uP to do, by closing is center line and exposing his sides. Is this a WC "typical' Sategy?

What say you Sifu?

How are humans hard wired flinching tendencies taken into accound by WC in their training

James :) :?:
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby E. Hinds » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I also, from the very short time I spent training WC with you, felt many similarities. The focus on directness, attacking the centerline, and as Tai Ngo calls it "stampeding". Stampeding is really the best term for it I can think of. It refers to the strategy of being patient, waiting until the opponent shows an opening either by attacking or having bad structure, and then attacking relentlessly and continuously until the fight is over. Constant striking, not letting them have even a chance to defend or counter. Tai used to also call it "trampling". There are more similarities that I noticed, and doubtless some that I did not. There is definitely a similarity in the way the hands coordinate and work together, moving simultaneously, that I can't really put into words yet.

I didn't train many specific drills for listening or adhering skills with Tai. The five fists matching set is a great way to feel what Xingyi should feel like in combat, and once free footwork is allowed is an excellent way of training listening jin, because you have to sense what the opponent's footwork will be through his arms. An excellent listening/adhering drill for any style is the Shaolin fighting form #2 for the second stripe (backs of right wrists together, circling, sticking, attacking, very similar to push hands). I have found that fighting form to be one of the most useful things I ever learned, although it takes a while to gain proficiency and benefit from it. I get the feeling there are some Xingyi drills that would help with listening/adhering that I can't think of off the top of my head, if I remember them I'll post again.

And jfraser, I'm really not the one to answer WC questions. I really only ever got a small taste of it. Scott is very experienced, and I'm sure he'll have some answers for you. Also I am most definitely not anyone's sifu.
Eric Hinds
Shaolin 2nd Stripe

Longquan, Baihe, Xingyi
E. Hinds
Forum Newbie

Questions for Scott...

Postby jfraser » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:50 am

Eric,
Thank you for your responses. Sorry, I should have addressed my WC questions to Scott.

Scott, Please read my previous post re:adreniline rushs, and let me know what you think.

Have you found yourself able to maintain your WC structure in the fights you have had?

Thank you.
James[b] :?: [/b]
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby silverfox » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:59 am

jfraser,

WIng Tsun structure is essential in combat and is what makes the forward progression a solid centerline attack. Wing Tsun uses the prefight posture so that you have to cross a line to attack us, since we present no leading target. Once the line is crossed we explode forward on the center and usually with three limbs attacking at once.

So, in short without the structure and proper footwork everything else fails for the Wing Tsun person. These are more important than any fancy Wing Tsun techniques. I always say to my beginner students that if your structure and footwork are mastered then you don't even need your hands to uproot and disable an attacker.

thanks,

Scott
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan