Wudang Sword

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Wudang Sword

Postby fazhou » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Is Wudang sword considered an internal art? Is is Tai chi? any two cents will be put in the piggy bank. Thanks.
fazhou
Forum Contributor

Re: Wudang Sword

Postby Josh Young » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Like this:
http://youtu.be/xrtfH_VgGZ0
?????

Formal Tai Chi...? not in the most literal and strict sense perhaps, but I think it is in the broad sense.

As for it being internal, I would say absolutely.
I will admit that the video I posted contains something I consider a fake sword, (during the form demos) but real swordsmanship. The way the sword flexes and moves suggests it is historically inaccurate as a Chinese sword. A sword should not bend like that in such motions, it is too flimsy to be used in battle, but is fine for showing off moves. Such a sword is also too light to be accurate in a historical sense and is largely a modern Wushu style sword, not true to the old forms. However they do depict much better swords later in the video, so it isn't a big deal, I am just sharing my opinion that you should practice with a sword with real weight and sturdiness.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Re: Wudang Sword

Postby Dvivid » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 pm

It is true, Master Zhou borrowed several swords during the filming of this program. Some were heavier than others, and some bend too much. However, none of them was a wushu blade. He has broken those demo blades with his jing in the past.

Traveling with swords back and forth between China and Boston twice a year is challenging and expensive. The flimsiest sword he borrowed while at Wudang needed to be bent back into shape on a rock after he finished filming.

Yes, in ancient times, they used heavier blades. The swords you see in the close-ups and in the indoor footage are very nice heavy traditional blades. One of them was borrowed from Master yang, Jwing-Ming for the shoot.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan