Qinway Qigong

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qinway Qigong

Postby DEADLI. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone seen the active exercise DVD of the Qinway Qigong system. It makes some pretty big claims about what it is, and what it can do. But you can't buy the DVD on its own, it comes as part of a bundle, with healing teas and stuff. All of which will set you back about $300. So i wanted to try source it first. Nothing on YouTube, apart from there own trailer, which doesn't give much away.
Any info would be cool!

Ciao bella
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby Ou Hanran » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Master Qinyin is a Bigu/Qigong Master.

She reportedly studied with a Bigu Master for 6 years and after that created the Qinway Qigong system.

She has special abilities which allows her to transmit Qi to objects (like tea) which when consumed will transmit to the user.

She (I believe) has composed a set of exercises from other sources and made it into her own.

I believe there is benefit but the cost is quite high.

HTH.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:53 am

Bigu rocks...Embryonic Breathing is totally a prerequisite ;)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ou Hanran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 am

Master Qinyin's system is not based on breathing techniques.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 am

:D that may be, but breathing techniques are fundamental to any exercise, qigong, meditation - even if it is just calming the breath. you can reach a bigu state simply with proper breath, its that significant.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ou Hanran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 am

Sorry, I firmly disagree..

Breath techniques are not needed in All Qigong practices.. Some employ breath techniques, some do not.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am

Please explain why you firmly disagree :D
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ou Hanran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Because there are Qigong and Meditation exercises which do not emphasize or employ the breath to generate Qi.

Swimming Drgaon Qigong, Wuji Qigong, and tranquil sitting are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

You made a statment:
breathing techniques are fundamental to any exercise

I'm saying that not All employ the breath.
Last edited by Ou Hanran on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby DEADLI. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Ou Hanran wrote:
She (I believe) has composed a set of exercises from other sources and made it into her own.

It is the exercises that i'm interested in. Have you actually seen the Qinway Qigong DVD?
Or do you practice Qinway Qigong yourself?
I wanted some feedback on what the movements are, how effective they are.
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby Ou Hanran » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm

DEADLI.

Yes, I've seen this system and some get great results, some less so. I am in the latter category.

I'm not sure which DVD you're looking at.. You might want to try some of the Yin/Yang tea first to see if you feel anything from that. If you do then you could go further.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby DEADLI. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:43 pm

OH,

What is the purpose of the yin/yang tea?
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Ou Hanran wrote:Because there are Qigong and Meditation exercises which do not emphasize or employ the breath to generate Qi.

Swimming Drgaon Qigong, Wuji Qigong, and tranquil sitting are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

You made a statment:
breathing techniques are fundamental to any exercise

I'm saying that not All employ the breath.

I respectfully, but firmly, disagree with regard to the breath. Breath generates qi regardless of any other action you are engaging in! So if there are moving forms you are doing that also generate qi, then they can absolutely be enhanced by efficient breathwork.

Normally if a moving qigong is taught to beginners it is taught without the breath - kinda like the xingshenzhuang that I learned, our teacher told us not to even worry about the breath because we were focusing on the physical forms, and when there is a large physical component to learn then adding breathwork will only complicate the learning process.

By that rationale it is easier to separate the two, teach the moving form first, then teach a breathwork addition as a "power adder" in a secondary more advanced class.

To put that in an emptiness meditation paradigm, learning a good efficient breath method like embryonic breathing is something that can be 'exercised' regularly and that will build up muscle memory - so that when you do the emptiness, the foundation of proper and efficient breath is already built in to the process and the better your muscle memory becomes (i.e. how diligently you practice) then the less "mental capital" you will need to spend on the breath itself, resulting in smooth and efficient breath with little extra "awareness-overhead". Thus it facilitates the process of "letting the foreground fade away" (through focused aware repetition) until "the background becomes the foreground" and another layer of the onion has been peeled back :D
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ou Hanran » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I've been down that road 20 years ago as well as many others since.

Why do you think I do not agree with you?
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Re: Qinway Qigong

Postby yeniseri » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 pm

DEADLI. wrote:Hi All,
Has anyone seen the active exercise DVD of the Qinway Qigong system. It makes some pretty big claims about what it is, and what it can do. But you can't buy the DVD on its own, it comes as part of a bundle, with healing teas and stuff. All of which will set you back about $300. So i wanted to try source it first. Nothing on YouTube, apart from there own trailer, which doesn't give much away.
Any info would be cool!

Ciao bella

The best strategy is to study with the teacher for the basic lessons, andl like how you make tea, allow the bag to settle through gong (time and duration of Qinway practice). Do not partake of any other qigong for 3 years and you still save money and get to test Qinway to see how it works!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 am

Ou Hanran wrote:I've been down that road 20 years ago as well as many others since.

Why do you think I do not agree with you?
It honestly seems like a simple matter of context, brother :D

"Emphasize" vs "employ" - if the breath isnt emphasized in some fashion at some point in training, there wont be the the added benefit that good efficient breath gives you - of course if you've already integrated the process, you have already realized and taken advantage of the benefit. So if you are utilizing a good proper breath then that in and of itself is a good qi-booster. (If you're not employing the breath, what are you doing, holding it? :lol: kidding ;) Take the chinese writing for qi, its a combination of what, rice, and air? Air is fundamental to qi...) Of course the lower level processes will take care of that if the mind is not on it, but unless trained it will not be as efficient and beneficial. That was mostly my point, because after training and gaining results from a good breathing regimen, it makes the unconscious process more efficient by having put in the focused, aware repetition of practice.

If you're telling me that a well trained breath cant boost a practice - any practice - vs untrained breath - then...I'd be more curious as to what your 20 years have meant - but as you say if you've been down that road then we're in agreement in some fashion. No offense intended of course, I am only writing openly and plainly - but to deny this aspect of the breath seems rather foolish. Myriad paths of progress aside, at some point it is essential to learn good breathing techniques!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ou Hanran » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm

Joe,

I'm saying that there are other methods besides using breath to generate and work with Qi. That's as clear as I can make it.

In addition, adding or mixing breathing techiques to exercises which are not designed for it can or will deminish or eliminate any benefit that exercise was designed to produce.

You are responding based on your experience and background up to now. I'm saying there's other stuff out there which you obviously have not been exposed to.

That's all.
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm

joe said
Breath generates qi regardless of any other action you are engaging in
but this not always the case. When one does whatever one is supposed to do, breath takes care of itself.

Structurally and objectively, one may say that the breath will indirectly be lowered (chest vs diaghragmetc breathing), meridians being stimulated based on type of movement thus affecting mitochondrial cellular activity.
Even sitting meditation help with abdominal problems through stimulation/invigoration of stomach channel.

Are you talking about xinzhenzhuang of Zhineng dong gong?
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DEADLI. » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Ou Hanran wrote:
I'm saying that there are other methods besides using breath to generate and work with Qi. That's as clear as I can make it.

Could you be a little clearer OH about how you're generating this qi without the breath. What method are you using?
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby Ou Hanran » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:21 am

DEADLI,

Wuji Qigong as taught by Cai Songfang
Wuji Qigong as taught by He Nanjie (Tony Ho)

Swimming Dragon Qigong
Ou Hanran
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Hm...I thought I explained my point of view sufficiently but replies didnt seem to reflect that, so I'll clarify :D Again I'll purport there to be no disagreement here, merely different angles of looking at this.

I never denied the existence of other methods of generating qi aside from the breath. As to "breathing techniques" then even in the "absence" of such, whatever the medulla is programmed to do, it will do, and is a breathing strategy in and of itself - regardless of whether the action is initiated consciously or unconsciously - you are always employing some sort of breathing strategy and you are always deriving some measure of qi from your breath - even if the practice you are performing doesnt emphasize breath as a 'primary' source of qi. (Unless you're holding it, of course.)

What I am saying is that the practice of training the breath produces muscle memory throughout the diaphragm, psoas, perineum, chest, lungs, air passageways...so therefore when the breathing process has a higher percentage of unconscious action, this training will carry over and will absolutely enhance the efficiency of unconscious breath.

By that rationale, a good hei gung regimen will enhance any qigong regimen, be it directly or indirectly. I cant imagine that being refuted, how could softer parts that move more smoothly not be helpful? It is just like what a moving qigong will do to the external - the benefit is realized also (and sometimes especially) in times when the gongfu is not being performed.

Of course I am open to different interpretations, and if permissible, how about some concrete examples? :)

yeniseri, it was a longmenpai version that came from wang liping, although I didnt learn it directly from him.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Next

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung