Is this a good workout?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Is this a good workout?

Postby Maestromap » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Ok, so here is how my qigong/meditation work out will go (hopefully).

In the morning after I've had a chance to realize what is going on and drink some coffee I do some ZaZen or maybe sitting 8 Pieces. I have about 15 minuets to work with, more if I want to get up earlier. :roll:

When I get home from school I do the standing 8 sections, each form 6 times. If I do it slowly and mindfully this takes about 20-25 minutes.

Before I go to bed I do some more ZaZen to clear my mind, settle my energies from the day, and prepare for sleep. I have as much time as I want to give myself for this.

With all the ZaZen I might change those around to do other meditations.

SO....do you think it is reasonable? do you thin I am overwhelming myself?

Thanks,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:22 am

Reasonable, yes, overwhelming, doesnt seem like it.

I'd skip the coffee in the morning and do something a little more active, that will give you plenty more and longer lasting energy than coffee will. I suppose the seated 8 are good in the morning, but I've found over my years that even a good brisk walk or run, weights, standing 8 - get the heartbeat up in the morning - has the greatest effect on your overall energy for the large part of the day. (e.g. standing 8 will invigorate more than seated 8.) The mind is usually quieter when you first get up as opposed to after school, work, etc., so your zazen efforts might be better put to use after school or later in the evening before bed as opposed to first thing in the morning. Why empty when already pretty empty, right before filling anyway? ;)

What other meditations do you do, are interested in?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Maestromap » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks for the response.

Get ride of my coffee? :shock: I don't know.....I may try it over Christmas break.

I wait to do standing 8 sections until after school because I feel I am more alert and able to concentrate better. When I do it late in the after noon I am able to feel my qi more and I can relax deeper.

I might start doing sitting 8 section more often once I am more familiar with them and can do them without the book.

As for meditations, I really only do ZaZen. I am considering experimenting with some more pagan type meditations (i.e. crystal magick, rune magick). But my only real reason for meditation is to a.) build qi and b.) empty my mind in order to live better etc. can you suggest any meditations? I'd love to know some others.

Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 am

heh...well, if you love your coffee and are used to it then if reducing intake it is advisable to make reductions in a weaning manner instead of going cold turkey, otherwise you will likely get caffeine withdrawal headaches. Perhaps make your first bit regular and if you can tolerate decaf, it still has a smaller quotient of caffeine in it. I have a little more than I should myself! *pours a second cup* :roll: :lol: When my morning regimen was better I had significantly less want for coffee - if I sweat good enough then I dont want any at all and it starts to become even a bit repulsive.

How quickly do you get up in the mornings? It is a good practice to just drag your rear out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, and get moving instead of hitting the snooze button. That's right in line with the caffeine thing. Your body gets used to utilizing its energy right when you wake up, the energy lasts longer and eventually all day, and consequently you sleep more deeply.

Magic things mostly dont happen without "the fuel" - buy yourself a christmas present - Dr Yang's Embryonic Breathing book! That is an excellent meditation to begin with - you learn to coordinate all of the physical aspects of breath and coherently focus them. I had some pretty amazing things happen just by practicing that when in meditation and it served me quite well for many other things, other meditations as well as life events!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Maestromap » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:21 am

I get up right after the alarm goes off (or as soon as my mind registers what that god awful sound is :lol: ) and once I'm up I rarely drink even a full cup of coffee.

I will look into getting that book. It can be the Christmas present to go with my thanksgiving present to myself, Dr. Yang's 8 sections book.

Thanks for all the advice, it is very much appreciated.
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung