Qigong for scoliosis

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong for scoliosis

Postby John Armstrong » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Hello. Could someone suggest (or even describe) a qigong practice for my scoliosis? My condition is like this: I have had scoliosis since about thirteen, when I was taken to a chiropractor when I did not need to go. I am getting over it now. There is a large, very tight know running between the base of the right hand to the inside of the right leg. People comment on my lack of social skills and absent-mindedness. Also I cannot make eye contact--it feels like the problem is pain behind the eyes.
Also, I understand about visualization, but what is the feeling one gets from successfully channeling chi when breathing? Does it feel like menthol rub applied on the inside, to the same nerves that one feels during acupuncture? I am always interested in new ways to think about qi/ch'i. I think of it as sort of the tendency of life to defy entropy, the fact that the chemical reactions leading to life tend to happen.
John Armstrong
Forum User

Re: Qigong for scoliosis

Postby John Armstrong » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:41 pm

One more thing: I cannot sit comfortably at all. The condition causes my pelvis to be too tilted.
John Armstrong
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:37 am

I learned a spinal form called xing shen zhuang, it was a little pricey but the personal instruction and the form were well worth it. If you google it you can find another similar form that doesnt appear to be from the same lineage that I learned but it is also a good one, though not quite as fundamental imo.

the feeling of qi...somewhat depends on what it is that you are doing ;)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:57 pm

joeblast wrote:I learned a spinal form called xing shen zhuang, it was a little pricey but the personal instruction and the form were well worth it. If you google it you can find another similar form that doesnt appear to be from the same lineage that I learned but it is also a good one, though not quite as fundamental imo.

the feeling of qi...somewhat depends on what it is that you are doing ;)

joeblast,
Is this associated with Primordial Qigong from late Qing. I realize there are many systems that share the same (sub)name so just asking! The most recent is Hexiangzhuang/Zhineng dong gong where one of the form(s) is so called (xing shen zhuang!!!).

With a name like spinal form gong, that may not be a good idea based on the provided information. WIth scoliosis you want to "set" the spine as opposed to moving it, which can make the problems worse. Perhaps a specific PT regimen with something like baduanjin keeping in mind the physical condition of the student.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 am

It is a longmenpai form, I am not extensively knowledgeable on the history. On its conceptual face I disagree with "setting" the spine, but perhaps there is a minor misunderstanding - stasis extrapolated equals death. This form has sequences of openings and closings of the spinal joints starting with things like crane neck, turtle neck, but in addition to the longitudinal openings&closings there are lateral openings and closings; the form corrects and straightens via these openings and closings and also contains work for the hips, knees, and ankles as well. It is very good at correcting issues caused by too much sitting, ostensibly 'what it was designed for' in terms of spiritual cultivation; the literal translation along the lines of connecting the heavenly vehicle with the earthly one.

I think the zhineng level 2 is available online in pictureword description, it is similar, though I have never been shown the "second-level" of the longmenpai form to have much basis for comparison.

Anyway, doing this form regularly has made my spine pretty mobile, it gets worked and adjusted daily...but then again I have back injuries, previous surgery, etc, so its imperative that I'm diligent otherwise it begins to tighten up. I did a couple sessions at a chiro before when I had a tightness or two that I was having a little difficulty overcoming, and with those couple adjustment-tricks I learned plus the qigong forms that I do, I am able to completely self-maintain :) One of the best investments I've ever made, honestly speaking.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John Armstrong » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

Thank you all for your replies!
I actually have very mild, though still very painful and incapacitating, scoliosis. Lately I have had a great deal of success with standing baduanjin as it is taught by Dr. Yang (very different from the method of my T'ai Chi teacher).
John Armstrong
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung