Skipping certain qigong forms!

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Skipping certain qigong forms!

Postby Shinobibeatz1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:40 am

I am currently practicing qigong for longevity dvd and the eight pieces of brocade! But theres some forms in both of these dvd that benefit the same organs. So my question is, if i did an exircise in the eight pieces of brocade for the stomach, then do i need to do the stomach exircise for qigong for longevity? Or i can skip, and is it dangerous to skip around exircise and only use the exircise that you need?
Shinobibeatz1234
Forum Regular

Re: Skipping certain qigong forms!

Postby joeblast » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 am

When it is relatively superficial as in this presented context, no issues. Often a particular form is designed to be relatively comprehensive but it will not address every single need of a given practitioner, given personal injuries or what not - so I have basically taken from many forms what I do for my "comprehensive" set of external practices designed to make sure I get every area that *I* need to work on.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Shinobibeatz1234 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:55 am

My mom only use the arm and shoulder qigong for her arm problems! Dr. Yang said Qigong is an art, so maby you can possibly design your own exircises!
Shinobibeatz1234
Forum Regular

Postby yeniseri » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 am

Shinobibeatz1234 wrote:I am currently practicing qigong for longevity dvd and the eight pieces of brocade! But theres some forms in both of these dvd that benefit the same organs. So my question is, if i did an exircise in the eight pieces of brocade for the stomach, then do i need to do the stomach exircise for qigong for longevity? Or i can skip, and is it dangerous to skip around exircise and only use the exircise that you need?

Most instructors will say that if you have a problem, only do the regimen that affects the area/location/body structure but this is a 'narrow minded' way of helping to fix a problem.
A better strategy is to 'help right by assisting left' or, 'treating up and assisting down' etc.
For example, you have a problem with right still shoulder so a better solution would be a general all purpose regimen to break up stasis/stagnation (unknown) in all areas to assist more circulation while at the same time do smaller range of movement with right shoulder (flexion, extension, adduction, abductionin various planes to ameliorate the problem.

If it persists then it is time to see a medical professional. Left shoulder pain/forearm and scapular problems would be more problematic due to association with cardiovascular problems.
It does not initially mean a major problem but its persistance over time is the linchpin!

This strategy is similar to herbal medicine where 1 herb serves as the emperor/king, the other(s) as assistants, guides, etc as opposed to the single herb, which may be too strong or too weak and therefore limited in going to where it needs to go.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung