8 Pieces of Brocades Question

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

8 Pieces of Brocades Question

Postby JeffK » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 am

I'm learning the 8 Pieces of Brocades from the book 8 Simple Qigong Exercises for Health. In the first form it says to condense your Shen in the Upper Dan Tian and sink your chi to the lower Dan Tian. What is condensing? I know that Shen translates to spirit, but I still feel I don't quite grasp the meaning. And when you sink your chi are you suppose to do some kind of visualization or something?
JeffK
Forum User

Re: 8 Pieces of Brocades Question

Postby sengtsan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:56 am

I will tell what I understand but this is just personal, hope it helps anyway.

Most of the time our attention is divided and dispersed by multiple objects and activities so that although we have the feeling that we are aware, we are only at a very very low level. So condensing the Shen means that you gather and concentrate, bring your attention and awareness at a higher level.You may feel a little warmth, experiment a lighter sensation at Upper Dantian.

When it comes to sinking the Chi, the closer image and feeling is condensing your weight in the lower part of your body. Feel as if you were a big big bag of sand put on the ground with the empty space on top of it and fullness below. Let's say this fullness begins and is most perceptible in the Lower Dantian area and sends roots through your legs into the ground.

So you may end with two poles: a lighter one above where you gather your attention and awareness and a heavier one below. The body is not cut in two parts, these poles are connected like +/- of a battery.

BTW, if you like the exercises, and can afford it, you may find the video helpful because you will see a live demonstration by Dr Yang and may get a better feeling of the exercises. I was told that the 8 pieces were Waidan-external chi kung, but seeing Dr Yang demonstrating them with great care and attention, they look like quite internal.
sengtsan
Forum Addict

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung