An mo gong

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

An mo gong

Postby vvanesse59 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 pm

In my reading and limited study of qigong, I have found an mo gong to be used as a finish-off to qigong routines -- in other words, after say 8 Brocades, one chafes and massages lightly then you stand reflectively. Then I recently read where one would use an mo gong to "awaken the qi" by using the practice before doing other qigong routines. It was said that "the ancients used an mo gong to awaken the qi" Does this awakening procedure sound like it is in the right spot of a qigong workout -- before the routine(s) or after? Minor detail perhaps but would like some input.
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Re: An mo gong

Postby yeniseri » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:37 pm

To my knowledge, an mo is more tuina related.
Usually after some qigong routine(s), shougong (ending routine) one usually massages the face/neck area on various points to 'bring down' (disperse) qi.

I did learn pai da, which is a generalized patting and hitting along body locations (bottom to top) on the body. Usually with cupped hands, and with about 15-30 'hits' per area based on tenderness or stiffness! An mo, per my understanding is more massage related with pushing, rubbing, etc along meridians. I will use the Japanese word of tsubo (areas/locations though the word point may be apropos on other occasions) since i have more hands-on experience in that area along with sotai.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: An mo gong

Postby vvanesse59 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for reply yeniseri "Usually after some qigong routine(s), shougong (ending routine)....." I had learnt long ago to do the "disperse qi" by doing the rubbing the palms then "wash the face" then on down the body alternately warming the palms and rubbing but it was done AFTER the qigong routine as you mention. So, I think I will go with that as I have only seen one instance of doing an mo gong or any of this practice BEFORE the routine.
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung