beginner starting with embryonic breathing

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

beginner starting with embryonic breathing

Postby tianshiz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am

hey everyone,

I've always been interested in learning qigong. But, the concept of qi has always been something that's been mystified and misunderstood. It isn't easy to find a master that would have the true skills for the internal arts in the US, so I'm glad that we at least have Dr.Yang's videos as resources. I learned a lot from having seen the first few part of the "Understanding Qigong" video by the master Yang. But now I'm ready to start training. I saw the beginner recommendation page here:
[url]http://ymaa.com/publishing/start-here/qigong
[/url]
It seems that the normal path is to start with the 8 brocades, but it also mentions that its possible to instead start with the Understanding qigong videos. Can I take this to mean that I, as a complete beginner, can start off my training through embryonic breathing? I'm not only looking to improve my health but also to eventually apply this to martial arts. I saw in the DVD that Dantian breathing is the first step to applications in martial arts. But from what I can understand, that if I were to use embryonic breathing, the effects would be much greater. Is this correct?

If so, is it advisable to jump straight to embryonic breathing training? Namely, go through the embryonic breathing DVD and read Qigong Meditation. Would this be much more difficult?

thanks
tianshiz
Forum User

Re: beginner starting with embryonic breathing

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

One may start out with embryonic breathing, nothing wrong with that. It is among the most fundamental meditations. You'll need to do plenty of it to really even start to understand the concept of a lower dantien ;) What's your goals, intentions?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Embyonic Breathing is a great practice to start, but to open your body's circulation up, you'll want to also practice some moving qigong, like the Soft White Crane or Eight Brocades.
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby tianshiz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Well, I'm currently 20. And I would like to maintain my health and become more fit. Also at the same time I would like to apply qi to martial arts. Though first steps first, I'm interested in feeling and experiencing my own qi.
tianshiz
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:35 pm

OK, in that case. Two things: I recommend you practice this Soft White Crane Qigong for 6 months. Don't do the hard qigong until you feel like you really have a grasp of the spine waving movements. http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_D ... qigong_DVD

Ponder the idea of Qi. This is your body's energy. The trick to "feeling your Qi" sounds very simple, but it can be difficult: Stop thinking, and pay attention to feeling. When you are thinking, your brain is consuming a lot of energy and oxygen, and that energy is literally in your head. When you stop thinking, and become deeply relaxed, almost to the semi-sleeping trance of meditation, you can feel your energy.

Realize that the human body is a conscious bioelectromagnetic field. You don't need to "find" your energy. You ARE energy.
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby tianshiz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:04 pm

thanks for the help!

Will I be able to learn this well by myself? It's not so easy for me to attend the seminars.
tianshiz
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 am

I still have yet to make it to one of Dr Yang's seminars :oops: But really, his books and DVDs on this stuff are *so* well written that so long as you sincerely read, ponder, practice; go back and read a little more, ponder, practice...then practice some more, you will absolutely be able to experientially grasp the subject matter. Some of the most profound happenings I had in the beginning were just utilizing embryonic breathing along with 8 brocades, inner smile. :)

You also have good reference here with people available to answer questions you may have.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby tianshiz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm

thanks guys!
There are no pre-reqs for hard soft crane I hope? Aside from the understanding qigong theory and ab and reverse ab breathing?
tianshiz
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 am

your understandings will be redefined a hundred times over for almost everything on the topic :D go for it!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung