qigong for circulation

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

qigong for circulation

Postby John Armstrong » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am

Hi. I would first like to apologize because I have been starting threads and then abandoning them. This is usually because my understanding of qigong increases with practice and so I do not need to follow the topic anymore. Sometimes it is because I switch from the practice I was doing to investigate another. (I work with a book called Qigong Empowerment mainly, doing the medical exercises for the organs.)
My new question is this. I seem to have very poor circulation in my legs. (Actually, I think this is due to use of too many artificial sweeteners, like stevia, which I use in my tea. I know this is bad, and some of them are very bad, but I tend to develop habits like this when under great stress, as I am now and suspect I will be in the foreseeable future.) The lowest parts of my legs--not the feet, but like the ankles and half-way up to the knee--have some swelling and like rashes as though I had been walking through poison ivy. It has been coming and going. I am asking to be referred to a qigong practice or book to increase circulation in the legs; any such practice should quell my desire for sweetened tea also. Any other insights from Chinese medicine, such as herbs that will help, would be appreciated also.
Thanks!
John Armstrong
Forum User

Re: qigong for circulation

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

One should always go to the appropriate health professional!
Behavioural and dietary intervention is in order as well as looking at the family medical history as to insight for the problem.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John Armstrong » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:41 am

Thank you. I intend to do that. In the meantime, however, I am sure there is some qigong that can help with this.
John Armstrong
Forum User

Postby wpgtaiji » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 am

John Armstrong wrote: Sometimes it is because I switch from the practice I was doing to investigate another. (I work with a book called Qigong Empowerment mainly, doing the medical exercises for the organs.)

In order to see ANY real benefit, you must stay with ONE qigong for a period of time. Bouncing around from one to another does nothing for you.

My new question is this. I seem to have very poor circulation in my legs. (Actually, I think this is due to use of too many artificial sweeteners, like stevia, which I use in my tea. I know this is bad, and some of them are very bad, but I tend to develop habits like this when under great stress, as I am now and suspect I will be in the foreseeable future.)

I am not a doctor, but I dont think it has to do with Stevia! Why? Stevia is NOT an artificial sweetener! Stevia is a natural sweetener!

If i were you, I would seek out competant medical advice.
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 pm

sweating is a good remedy for battling wind pathogens. ride a bike, run, and of course, seek out qualified medical people and dont just rely on what a bunch of dudes say on the internet :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John Armstrong » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Thank you both for this guidance! If you have another moment: Do you recommend any certain books, especially by Dr. Yang? I have no other purpose than balance on every plane.
John Armstrong
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:09 am

The eight Brocades:
http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_D ... qigong_DVD

The first piece of the standing set specifically will address your leg circulation problem.

I recommend practicing that exercises daily, multiple times, and doing the full standing set a few times per week.
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Here's another good little exercise, I believe it has been referred to as 'rebounding'

Assume zhan zhuang standing position
point elbows outward, palms facing back
bounce by moving the knees in and out about 2 inches, relax while doing it
with the elbows pointed outward, the wrists do these nice little ellipses

just for a few minutes when you wake up, then stand still in the zz position for a few minutes. it lubes the major joints very well; ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists. I showed my buddy's gram this exercise and she loves it, cant do a ton of exercising at 90 :lol:

(it is also promotes lymphatic system)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby carolRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm

QiGong excercise: Focus on lower Dantian (below navel) imagine gathering a red fireball of QI. Split it in two and move it down to top of foot , through ball of foot, and back up to lower Dantian. Mentally repeat process several time to get the Qi flowing, then it should keep flowing on its own. Let it flow for 10 to 15 min or so. Occationally focus your attention in ball of your foot. After 10 or 15 min, stop the flow and gather Qi at lower Dantian. Do this several times a day . This is taken from Qinway system (Qinway.org).
and is a part of the excercise as I am not authorized to teach this, but I do believe that this would be beneficial. The best advice I can give at my level of understanding would be to do "Standing, Spontaneous Meditation" as this directs the Qi to flow at will where the body needs it for healing most. I learned this in both medical qi gong forms, Soaring Crane and Qinway. Anyone wanting a copy (for free) can email me at [email protected]. It is an advanced form and will not work unless you have already done approx 50 hrs of a practice that has opened your channels. It sounds like you might have alot of medical problems, in that case, and esp if you are also wanting spiritual growth, I would whole heartidly recommend Qinway QiGong 3.2 seminar, as it will point you in the right direction of a proven efficent QiGong program (one of the few programs officially named by Chinese goverment as medically effectice form ) and will save you years of practice.
carolRN
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Nothing like a simple walk surrounded by enough sunshine, a nice breeze and a good pair of walking shoes. As simple as it gets! Unencumbered!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung