Does anyone know of any good qigong to.....

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Does anyone know of any good qigong to.....

Postby JeffK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 am

Does anyone know of the best qigong to cure anxiety, depression, and insomnia?
JeffK
Forum User

Re: Does anyone know of any good qigong to.....

Postby yeniseri » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 pm

JeffK wrote:Does anyone know of the best qigong to cure anxiety, depression, and insomnia?

What is the context of "cure" and the dominant symptom presentation? Here's why!

Client A goes to allopathic practitioner and is given diagnosis of anxiety/depression and based on severity level, s/he is given medication, and/or is recommeded to a psychiatrist/therapista/psychologist? If solution is resolved with therapist, then perhaps a short term medication regimen is in force.
Is one saying that the patient should not follow the family practitioner's recommendation but take up qigong instead?

In my TCM qigong group practice, a main facet is that clients should ALWAYS be under the care of their medical practitioner. When there are problems, their family practitioner is notified so as to keep that person in the loop. That means all possible interventions are in force for the benefit of the client. There are far too many qigong representatives who tacitely, through subtle innuendo, enforce in their subjects that qigong can cure everything under the sun and this does not bode well for the TCM profession, in whole or in part.
My experience that if one alleviates the abnormal sleep pattern, then there will be a decrease in anxiety/depression (they usually co-exist together), there can be positive beneft. Again, seeing a therapist in addressing the cause of said anxiety/depression through cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a good strategy in resolution of 'mental 'dis-ease".

To my knowledge, there is no known qigong system to cure anxiety/depression and insomnia but all systems have a capacity through jingqishen, soft, relaxed, continuous movement to allow the easing of "mental fog" (excuse the vague terminology) aong with the equivalent of walking therapy!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:37 pm

imho it is best solved at the root - while it may be a relatively simple process that doesnt mean easy nor does it mean that symptoms wouldnt be exacerbated on the road. the center of the brain, pineal/pituitary dynamic, is the control center of it, though that doesnt minimize each local endocrine function and feedback mechanisms thereof. normally some endocrine imbalance or another will manifest these issues. approaching the problem with the intent of solving it with qigong and meditation is a relatively watery approach and will thus take more time, but it will be robust if you practice sincerely. (although, certain meditations will be more energetically 'forceful' than others, as some meditations are contraindicated for people with mental issues, the reason being that it is very likely it will make things worse before it makes things better, it will be a rough ride for the practitioner - but I do know a person or two who has taken that rough road and come out immensely more centered and balanced having stuck with it - classic double edged sword on some of those. but since we're talking of a relative watery yin approach here I will address those further, just the basic path to stillness.)

the reset will be found in "utter and complete stillness" - the quickest way there I've found is using much of what dr yang teaches in embryonic breathing. do plenty of anapana, harmonize the structures of breathing; when the most energetic points of the constituent parts are combined about the lower dantien in a soft fashion then the net energetic effect will be positive and then the abundant energy of the lower dantien will spill forth into the channels - the manifestation will help keep the awareness focused and your posture straight and comfortable. after that, find all of the points of the air passageways where one may exert influence and progressively disable them - combined with the harmonious breath, letting go of the air passages you will eventually eliminate all turbulence from the breath; once that happens you start getting shiny big long moments in meditation where everything is still yet very radiant - its the stillness before extreme yin generates yang - the root of meditation. begin every session for the near future like this and once the resonance is established then keep it going, return when you find your mind wandering. if you cant sleep then this process will at least be net energy positive and you wont be quite so drained from losing sleep - and it just might set you straight enough that you'll actually feel like sleeping.

a good exercise routine is also absolutely indispensable in its ability to assist these processes - I cant say enough how good it is for you to sweat every day.
see
http://www.wellnessresources.com/health ... /lymph.php
and note that "lymph" is all over your body and is veritably the root of sweat, so sweating is indirectly very good for your spleen - processes that often are more active at night, when they become overactive, can hamper your sleep.

combining the embryonic-dantien-longevity breathing with a good exercise routine will motivate yang, enhance yin, get the body's engine revving - make them both a good habit and you will eventually overcome these obstacles. to whatever extent outside help is "needed"...well, how confident are you in yourself? 8)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby carolRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Qinway Qigong can without a doubt resolved this. 7 yrs ago I went for relentless insomnia and was sleeping like a baby for a year after. I stopped doing the routine approx 2 months after learning it, then 7 years later relearned it as the same medical problem plus others developed. During the 3 day seminar I was able to go off all medications and have been off since and am sleeping well, plus I used to wake up at the drop of a pin and now do not. My insomnia was so bad that I would only sleep 3 hrs night until 10 days or so, then would crash for the night. All sleeping pills accept Halcion , would not work, only an anti psychotic, Seroquel, would work. (No, I am not mentally ill, went to shrink for a year on my dime and on work comp) Long story short, was fianally dx with a type of dementia, so I went back to Qinway as a last resort. My insomnia, anxiety and occ blues is resolved. Energy is tremendous and I feel 30 years younger because of various smaller issues, like resolved stomach problems, aches and pains and fatigue resolved. My dementia symptoms are 90% resoved, going in for testing again next week to make sure. I hate to recommend Qiway because it is so rediculously expensive, and the DVD is just very introductory. Insomnia, though can lead to some pretty bad diagnosis though, or in my case, can be the early symptom of a brain disease, so I was glad to know about it and be able to scrap up the money for it. I went on blind faith. Although you don't know me, you can be assured that my testimonial is true. No one can be guaranteed that any method, drug, etc can work for them as it has worked for others. Grandmaster QIn believes that 70% of all disorders are from past Karma. I do not believe in Karma, but paid her extra to get rid of past bad Karma. She only does this at 3.2 seminar. I was only able to practice, I think 60%, because of mental confusion and disorganization the first month, but still kept getting better and better. Today, I am able pay bills, count change at grocery store and work in family business!!!!!
carolRN
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung