Stuck qi

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Stuck qi

Postby manaus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:26 am

Hello,
doing the mco, I found several spots along the route where qi seems to be stuck. Feeling is like having a wet rag on the skin, which won't budge.
I read two approaches: stay on the spot until it 'opens'; and move along the path, the blockage will gradually dissolve on its own.
What is your opinion?

Thanks!!
manaus
Forum Regular

Re: Stuck qi

Postby joeblast » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Where are the locations? Might be able to draw some correlations to find some other avenues that might work. Physical things should be considered but arent always the cause. If it is something physical than some sort of dao yin addressing the function-area should help. If its just energetic, then pushing through it or dissolving may yield more fruit. I think both techniques are good, dissolving and leading past, apply them at different times and one can hit the problem from some different angles, appropriate dao yin should help even if the problem is just energetic. Robust and appropriate paths are usually better than a single tactic, depending on the issue being addressed.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 pm

I think people have a narrow view of meridians (channels) and how to access and change essential qualities.

Here is a positive outlook
http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com.au/20 ... -they.html
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby manaus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks guys

@joeblast mainly throat, heart and back of heart. I'm doing also some asanas, but somehow I cannot manage to reach that inner deep knot that I think it's manifesting such sensations.

@yeniseri article saved for later reading!
manaus
Forum Regular

Postby joeblast » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 am

Ok - first to address from a breathwork standpoint - try focusing on initiating the inhale from the lower rear of the diaphragm and continuing that intent throughout the inhale - another way I've mentioned is imagine the spine is a train track and you have a toy train, drive it down the track on inhale, back it up on exhale. (not as low as genitals, not as high as heart.) But an extra point of focus there, relax on the exhale. What that does is establish a smooth motion in the diaphragm that lets the diaphragm's motion move smoothly past the openings - so two major heart related ones are right there, the aorta and vena cava. With that motion continued, eventually that makes the heart light, buoyant, effervescent even. It can sit and shine comfortably, not feel heavy at all.

So with that physical bit down, here's another thing you can try to help open the area - a friend of mine related this in a sort of de-programming context, but I interpret it a little differently in a more positive manner. Think of the heart healing sound, he (huh? yeah, that phonetic :lol:) and without making a sound, imagine resonating that as loud and as deep as you can in your vocal range - at the heart. Then do it again, but in the highest vocal register, similarly resonated at the heart center. My wife's name was a good one for me to use there also :lol: But anyway the deprogramming technique was using the word no - while I found that effective, I simply choose to focus on more positive forms. (As with any practice messing with energy potentials, always stillness afterward...you probably know that but I just continue writing it always anyway because it is important for anyone to relate to their own practice.)

One other practice that would do some good is called pulling down the heavens - you can use the heart sound for that also - raise the hands on the inhale palms up, to a comfortable height, then turn palms downward and exhale with the heart sound while 'pulling down the heavens' - so a nice relaxation from the heart center coinciding with the sound - it can of course be done vocally or subvocally, they are different levels of subtlety so if you do the healing sounds, I recommend both ways. If you dig on my 3 dantiens work at all, this also relates to hexagram 12 - so a gentle waxing of the 3 dantiens on the inhale and waning on the exhale.

You can also do some more laogung breathing ;)

Many methods, hehe :mrgreen:
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:18 am

When you feel "stuck Qi" DO NOT "stay on the spot until it 'opens". bring your mind further along the MCO, AWAY from that spot, to LEAD the qi through the "Stuck spot". there are some places that tend to be 'sticky" and it can be dangerous to lead more Qi to them. Don't hold your attention on the front or back of the heart, the back of the head, or the tailbone. Move beyond them.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung