How much strength in stretch?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

How much strength in stretch?

Postby manaus » Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 am

Hello,
I'd like to hear your opinion about how much strength to apply on moving routines, such as Brocade and so on.
I'm aware of carrying a deep, westener conditioning on exerting strength when doing any gym exercise, no pain no gain. What should be the physical sensation when the strength is right?

Thank you very much
manaus
Forum Regular

Re: How much strength in stretch?

Postby joeblast » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am

finding the hard within the soft
is similar to
finding a relative local energetic maxmia amidst a coincident relative consumption minima;

so when one applies force, even if the intent is for a linearly increasing manifestation then naturally there are too many factors and we have a convergence of curves, our convergence of potentials.

thus it boils down to...

once the physical aspects are harmonized (alignment, posture, etc)

then there is simply an intent for a smooth coherent arising potential. (and that is the physical sensation)

considered in the context of a stretch, the potential arises and reflects off of the stretch, enough to produce the desired amount of stretch, the potential continues moving.

(hopefully that makes sense :mrgreen: )
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby manaus » Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks Joeblast,
sincerely speaking I could catch the first sentence, I read and re-read the rest of the explanation, well physics is not really my field of predilection...
manaus
Forum Regular

Postby joeblast » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am

"so when one applies force, even if the intent is for a linearly increasing manifestation then naturally there are too many factors and we have a convergence of curves, our convergence of potentials."

=

convergence of curves = all of the inputs to the system in question are not linear inputs - so think of a muscle's range, its efficiency and power output vary at different stages of the motion, ergo, differing amounts of force at differing times of the motion would be required for the motion to manifest "linearly." so think of how to try to "curve a curve so that its straight" :lol:

back years ago when I brought my son to the children's science museum, there was a squid exhibit, and a little game to play where you set the various strengths of the squid's muscular force, then hit a button and it executed the input, and based on the overall coherence, it went however far. it took me a dozen tries or so to configure the muscular input so that the squid would go all the way to the other side - so I related that to breathing in that you have different strengths and different distances to cover...so by doing anapana breathwork and smoothing out the motion, making the motion more coherent, you are necessarily working on timings, and when the timings are most coherent then that is when the energetics of the breathwork are prime.

so to relate that to a stretch, we're involving partially the other physical structures that assist the body to move into the position to stretch the desired structure, and by making the movements good and coherent, one can more thoroughly focus the awareness on the structure being stretched. if 100% is failure/injury, then 70% is enough to get the stretch in without getting close to the point of failure. but when one is in very good health, stretching can be taken more closely to 100% without there being quite so much potential for injury.

there's a difference between 'good pain' and 'bad pain' - the bad being more strikingly acute, that's what we wish to avoid in stretching, yet still be able to stretch to a point where the muscle fibers are getting close to their maximal extent, but not so much that it begins compromising tendon and ligament - ligaments especially, for they heal much more slowly than muscle does.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Monsoon » Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm

if 100% is failure/injury, then 70% is enough to get the stretch in without getting close to the point of failure. but when one is in very good health, stretching can be taken more closely to 100% without there being quite so much potential for injury.

I am not sure I agree with this as I think it is a bit misleading.

As your flexibility/fitness increase so does your range of stretch. So although a beginner's 70% stretch covers less range it is still relative to their maximum potential (100% stretch) at that time.

A more experienced and more flexible practitioner may have a greater range of stretch but should still only apply 70% extension.

That is my opinion and I am more than happy to be shown to be wrong. :D
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Thu May 30, 2013 6:07 am

no, nothing wrong at all with that interpretation, for at that level we're really just getting into the semantics of words :) its the concept that is important, so when some minor parameters are changed in the wording, it necessarily leads to a slightly different word-conclusion at times.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung