modifying Eight Pieces of Brocade?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

modifying Eight Pieces of Brocade?

Postby pilotfish » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:10 pm

I started with this set a couple years ago, around age 60. I train alone. Besides adding other exercises to my routine, I've changed slightly my practice of Wise Owl, Draw the Bow, Sway the Head, and Clench the Fists.

Then I got Dr Yang's The Essence of Shaolin White Crane. As with his other work, I'm really appreciating the detailed analytical approach that he uses in explaining the issues involved. I'm "an engineer type", and I know that small details can have significant unexpected effects.

The changes I've made seem small to me, but this book leads me to question whether are productive, or whether they might actually disturb the manipulation of qi intended by the set. Here's what I've done, simply in order to to multiply the effect of time spent.

1) In Wise Owl, while inhaling and turning to the other side, I add a single neck rotation. From facing left, I lead my chin down and to the right, then up and over to the left, then down and to the right again, in a loop ending in the right-facing position. Then everything in reverse for turning left.

2) In each of Draw the Bow, Sway the Head, and Clench the Fists, I've been emphasizing a deep horse stance. I'm almost to the point of horizontal thighs. In addition, I often practice this deep horse stance for up to 3 minutes (so far -- it's a challenge) each night while executing some forward punches.

I don't expect too much noticeable difference from the neck rotation, which I intend simply as a loosening activity. The horse stance work has resulted in notable improvement in leg strength. I'm not sure, but I think I feel a difference in back strength as well.

However, being a rookie, I want to check: are these changes compatible with, or counterproductive to, the intended effects of the normal practice of these moves as demonstrated by Dr Yang in the DVD?
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Re: modifying Eight Pieces of Brocade?

Postby joeblast » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

were this something alchemically oriented that had specific functions, perhaps. but 8 brocades, no, no biggie.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

There are many variations of baduanjin and each has been modified per the person who teachers them. The reality orientation is that they are done based on age, degree of debility, flexibility and activity level.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Pilot

I see no problems with these variations. In #4, its not really about the neck, its about resolving stagnation deep within the torso, through the neck. So just be careful you don't tense the neck too much. Your focus during that exercise should be on your eyes and mind taking aim at a target on the wall on either side, to lead Qi.

Also, a deep horse stance is good. Don't hold your breath. Make sure you soften/loosen the muscles and joints after you practice a "hard-style" qigong like this.

It is good to strengthen the physical body with more aggressive practice, but remember to focus on the internal experience during your qigong. Relax, breathe deeply, and meditate.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby guidosetton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 pm

hello everybody, just started to practice the 8 movements set. I wonder if the sitting series can ONLY be performed between midnight and noon as prescribed. I think its a great " waking up" set but is there any risk to organs or qi, etc if performed at night?
thank you
Guido
guidosetton
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 am

nope. imho sitting is better in the evening anyway, I try to get my moving stuff done morning and afternoon/early evening.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby guidosetton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks for your response Joe Blast. Do you know why it is mentioned in the dvd and the book to do it in an specific time frame? I mean, i wonder what's the reason. I'm just starting off to practice these things and want to avoid do wrong things that could not be beneficial.
guidosetton
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 am

pattern matching with nature. but doing them on your own time is far better than not at all because "its not the correct time" for something of this nature.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby guidosetton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks Joeblast. I get it!
Guido
guidosetton
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung