Baguazhang Training

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Baguazhang Training

Postby Edrei McCabe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:53 pm

I have been practicing Baguazhang for a couple of years, unfortunately all I have as reference is Dr. Yangs books and John Painters web page. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for independant study of this art. Thank you.
With respect,e-w
Edrei McCabe
Forum User

Postby Rab182 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am

You could try these two books by Park Bok Nam, I haven't read them but they seem to be sound based on the reviews and the available sample pages.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086568 ... e&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086568 ... e&n=283155
Rab182
Just Arrived

Postby BaguaMonk » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:57 pm

No offense but I would not use the Emei Baguazhang book for training alone at home.., or at least not start with it. It is a bit more like Wushu then say, original Cheng Style Bagua. Not that its bad or anything, I just don't think it would be a good way to practice BaguaZhang for a couple years with no real teacher or material.
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Adison » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:24 am

The two books by Park Bok Nam will be excellent to train with since you are working from home. They focus mainly on foot work which is key in Bagua training and the books are filled with quality drills to help you prepare for your encounter with a qualified instructor.

The second book is not easy to come by since the company that published the books (High View) is no longer operating.
"In a world where death is the hunter, my friend, there is not time for regrets or doubts. There is only time for decisions."
Adison
Forum User

BaguaMonk

Postby Edrei McCabe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:29 am

Why is the emei bagua not a good way to start out. I've been training from it for almost two years. what is it lacking that the other book has?
With respect,e-w
Edrei McCabe
Forum User

Postby How Ming » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 am

Its alot harder to find instructors in Emei bagua than it is to find instructors in Cheng or Yin style thats if you want to advance further into the art. There seems to be alot more instructors in China that teaches Cheng and Yin (I presume there would also be more Cheng and Yin style instructors in America as well as a result).
How Ming
Forum Addict

Postby BaguaMonk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Well I guess Emei just isn't my style, some of it seems kind of "wushufied." But that is pure personal preference.

It really doesn't matter though.

If you don't have a teacher, here is what I recommend

-Basic methods of circle walking (both slow and fast). Or Bu-Fa, stepping/foot skills
-Standing Stake/Zhang Zhuang, power training: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ua&pl=true
Those are the ones I do if I ever have time.
-Eight mother palms (or animals)
-Single palm change (maybe double as well)

Make sure posture is right, and steps are right. You will get more out of the basics than you ever will of the "advandced" stuff.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan