How to "get" more earth chi?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

How to "get" more earth chi?

Postby jfraser » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:19 am

Last week-end I had the good fortune to visit a new, and very traditional Buddhist/Taoist/Confusian temple about 1 1/2 hours from here. And the party I was with had a delicious vegetarian lunch with the Abbot. During the lunch, he said I am "gold" and I need more earth chi.

Today a Tai Chi master said I need more earth chi.

So, how do I do this, that is my question?

Thanks,

James :?: :)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby Inga » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 am

Hi James,

It is my experience that Earth energy is always the first to become depleted. Earth holds and controls (or facilitates) the opposing natures of the other energies of Fire, Wood, Metal and Water. To replenish Earth, it is useful to "pamper" oneself, get extra rest, retire early with a good book, meditate more. With regard to diet, avoid diary products and try to eat brown rice. I have read that wearing the colour yellow can help. I can vouch for the use of exercises (which sadly I don't think I could explain very well here) and dietary controls and resting. It helps. Best of all, if you can get to a shiatsu practictioner, he/she can rebalance you and advise you further. They will be able to tell you what element you are. With this knowledge you will be able to find out more about how you can keep in balance. It's incredibly difficult to do, with all of life's pressures, but it is worth the effort. Good luck :)
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Tarandus » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:59 pm

James, for what it's worth - and this may sound over-simplistic, but I find the best way to get more earth Chi is literally to practise on a natural surface such as grass. Recently, I've abandoned the garden where I used to practise in the park, as too many members of the public go in and disturb my concentration. So I've taken to practising on vacant tennis courts instead and curiously enough, I'm finding it much more difficult to keep my root on the tennis courts, even though they are much more even than the grass surface. For instance, I have more difficulty balancing on one leg for slow kicks on asphalt than on grass; that is to say, I have to concentrate harder to keep my balance, which was easy on grass. I think that this may be due to a lack of earth Chi getting through from the ground on an artificial surface. Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan