White Crane Seminar

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

White Crane Seminar

Postby Adrian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:31 am

Greetings All,

I am really considering attending the upcoming white crane seminar in Boston, in June. I would really like a closer look at this style of gong fu. I have the book" White Crane Hard Soft Qigong"-oustanding in IMHO. My question is how would I proceed to continue training after the seminar to maintain, what I have learned and advance over time? I live in Allentown, PA, only 5 1/2 hours away. . .make a trip once a month? Does this organization support this type of learning? Finally, does the White Crane DVD provide a good overview of the system? Anyway, look forward to hearing from someone, and thank you in advance.
Adrian
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 pm

once in a month is doable as long as you've got one or several partners to train and regularly train with them.
The White Crane DVD gives a sort of overview as it shows you the basics stances, hand forms and routine. Though some stances are rather harsh for the knees so proceed with great care!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

White cane seminar

Postby Adrian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 pm

Hello,

thank you for the info! i would not have partners to train with, unless i could find people in, or near the area where i live. although i am hoping that at the seminar i will meet some folks who would be in a similar situation. thank you for the training tip, one of the stances i saw did look rather harsh for the old knees. it looked like a very lowered horse, knees turned in and down. anyhow, i believe i will register for the seminar, and hope for the best. thank you again.
Adrian
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 am

Master Yang recommends that people train the White Crane Hard and Soft Qigong at the start of their interest in White Crane Gongfu. The qigong movements are slow versions of the jin patterns that comprise the white crane style. Practicing the qigong builds the body's structure physically and energetically for the undertaking of Crane Gongfu:

http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_DVD/shaolin_white_crane_qigong_DVD
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

White Crane Seminar

Postby Adrian » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for this information. Would you advise working a little from the dvd prior to the seminar? Yet another question, what are(how many) the barehanded solo forms in Dr. Yang's White Crane Fist, excluding the (3?) qigong sets? Am I correct in assuming that this style is not a San Zhan/Sam Chien/Sanchin centric version of White Crane? Thank you for your time.
Adrian
Forum Newbie

Postby DOM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Adrian I live in NJ 6 miles past the Delaware Water Gap.I have been training White Crane for over five years.I train with Dave Grantham a Senior student of Master Yang.He has been with Ymaa for 15 plus years.He is one of the main instructors at the White Crane and Qinna Seminars in Boston.He is also one of only two Certified Qinna instructors in YMAA.He also exstremly knowladgeable in Tai Chi,Qigung and Long fist.If you are considering to continue training after or before the Seminar.I strongly suggest you come out and train with us.There are few who are as knowledgeable or as qualified as he.We get together at least once a week for a minimum of 2 hours.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

WHITE CRANE SEMINAR

Postby Adrian » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Dom,

Thank you for the information, and the invitation. This is really great news indeed. I would love to come and train. Could you provide me with details, location, time and so on. It is really nice to know that there will be a way for me to continue training, thank you again. I believe that area of NJ is only about an hour away from me here in Allentown, and I have no trouble with the driving. Take care, and look forward to hearing from you.
Adrian
Forum Newbie

Postby DOM » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Dave is away for the next couple of days.When he gets back he can fill you in more.He is actually located by Clinton N.J about a half hour from me.But it mite not be that far out of the way from you if you take RT 78 instead of RT 80
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby David Grantham » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi Adrian, Just to answer your question about barehand Sequences. I think you said you had the book. Look on page 107 and it lists the different contents of White Crane.
Dave
See the world and seek the truth!
Never say I cant, always believe I will.
David Grantham
Forum Addict

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu