8 piece brocade and sickness

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

8 piece brocade and sickness

Postby Joe Shaer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Hello,

I have been practicing the 8 piece brocade for a few months now. I usually practice twice a day; and if i'm too busy, I'd practice only once.

1. I recently caught the cold/sore throat and i'm wondering if I should still keep up with my practices or should I give my body a rest?

2. I thought the 8 piece helps with stimulating the immune system thus protecting the body from illnesses? Does this also mean that advanced qigong practitioners do not get sick at all?

Thanks
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Re: 8 piece brocade and sickness

Postby DEADLI. » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:26 am

Hi,

1. If you have a blocked nose, and can't breathe through it, then i would advise waiting till it clears up. Becuase to get the best results with qigong you need to have your tongue touching the roof of your mouth, inhaling and exhaling through the nose.

2. Though qigong does boost the immune system, it takes time to build up proficiency. Qigong is also just one aspect of lifestyle choices. If a person is doing other things that compromise the immune system, such as

Refined sugar
Smoking
Alcohol
Stress

Qigong is not magic, you need to be working with your immune system, not against it, in all aspects of life. But also we can all fall prey to infections now and again.

I can't speak for advanced practitioners, but I've been practicing medical qigong for five years, and this fall and winter as others where all coming down with colds and flu i passed through totally unharmed.

Hope this is of some use.....
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

I'm of the opinion that there is an appropriate sort of qigong for any condition, even if its just a low level natural abdominal breath if a condition is acute. Balance rest and practice - 8 brocades is a relatively mild exercise, so unless you're really bogged down with a flu or a temp or something, it should be ok. Just a cold, no big deal. Something to use your own judgment on - one aspect of cultivation is knowing oneself better and developing greater sensitivity, so as buddha said, dont automatically trust something even if I have said it - ultimately it is our own awareness that we must trust. (pretty sure I butched that quote badly, but that's the jist of it :lol: )
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung