qi qong and hot flashes

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

qi qong and hot flashes

Postby pammy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm a 60 year old women in good health and have been practicing tai chi and qi qong for around 1 year. I have noticed that when I am doing qi qong I develop a hot flash, it is mostly in my head area. I am wondering if anyone has any info on this type of qi qong response.
pammy
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Since qigong "sharpens" sensory perception, it may be better to approach the solution from a dietary viewpoint.
Some pointers:
a. Do less of bring qi up and lowering through forehead
b. Do more lowered postures (according to your ability level, of course)
c. While doing your routine, imagine an egg or tennis ball under your armpit so as to hollow armpit area (facilitates deeper breathing)!

What is name of the qigong you practice?
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

types of exercises

Postby pammy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:21 pm

I am doing a set of ten exercises. Knocking on the door of life, spinal cord breathing, buddha holds up the sky, fountain, tree swaying, cloudy hands, pebble in the pond, pulling down the heavens and ending with bamboo in the wind. I don't know what type of exercises they would be called. Pammy
pammy
Forum Newbie

explanation

Postby pammy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:24 pm

What do you mean by lowering the forehead?
pammy
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

pammy said
What do you mean by lowering the forehead?

Lowering through forehead is the ending portion of raising qi up (with palm up) bringing into forehead and bringing down to qihai area. It MAY be a cause of the neurological sensation of 'hot flashes'.

Are you doing shougong (ending routine) as in washing face, rubbing hands, etc.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

hot flashes cont.

Postby pammy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:04 pm

I will follow your advice about shouqong and lowering my chin. The hot flash isn't at the end as much as in the middle. Years ago when I was learning about chakas and energy I had also read that a person can develop problems from bringing up the energy to quickly without being prepared. I live in a rural area surrounded by trees and I think that there is alot of energy around me. I really appreciate your answering my posts and want to say thank you for the information. I am leaving for the redwoods for 4 days and will check back in when I return. We have a number of Dr. Yang's books and his CD on the eight pieces of brocade, he is wonderful to watch. Thank you and please let Dr. Yang know, if possible, that his books and CDs are very much appreciated. Pammy
PS Yeniseri, who are you?
pammy
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:35 am

Is there a certain exercise you're doing when this happens?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Re: hot flashes cont.

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 pm

pammy wrote:PS Yeniseri, who are you?

Other than I being a qigong instructor!

A good qigong teacher attempts to guide a student and/or give them
strategies for (in this case) lessening any problem (deviations (pian cha)or adverse symptoms (zou huo ru mo-devil running fire!)) associated with yangshengong practices.
My preference is to use the older term of "self-cultivation" for what we call qigong.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung