Multiple opponents?

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Is it possible to fight more than one person at a time?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes : 12

Multiple opponents?

Postby yat_chum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:20 am

Is it possible to fight more than one person at a time?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Inga » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:35 am

Hey Jo! No disrespect but I think you left your question too open, you need to ask something more specific. People fight multiple opponents all the time - remember the long exchange with the man in Brighton about using his Tai Chi to fend off multiple attackers (I think it was a gang he said). We do this in class, in fact just last thursday we did the "cube of doom" drill where one person is surrounded by four pad holders. The defender has to make contact with the pads using strikes (kicks or punches, cuts, palm strikes, etc) the pad holders count up to five (the number drops as the rounds continue and it gets harder) and if there has been no contact on the pad the padholder has to "nudge" the defender. It does not take long to get squished haha. But we work on this to improve our speed and accuracy. A friend told me about his wing tsun test (which he passed) where he had to fight his way out of a circle of trained martial artists. Do you mean is it possible to win? And what do you mean by win? To disable all the attackers? For me a win would be to get away with no serious injury - even if I never landed a blow haha. I think you should rephrase the question to get some discussion going.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby yat_chum » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:32 am

Can you fight two/three people at the same time?
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Inga » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:12 am

Definately
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby yat_chum » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:33 am

I knew women were good at multitasking but that's AMAZING!
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 am

yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Inga » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:47 am

There are two situations in which I would fight 2/3 people at the same time. The first would be by choice, as in, sparring class when factors are controlled (for the most part) and I am training. We do not do this regularly, but it is something we do. The second would be if I was attacked by more than one person, and I suppose it is possible as I spend a lot of time walking/out on my own, although it has not happened yet and I do not expect it to. If that should happen to me, I would fight 2/3 people at the same time. My other option is to curl up in a ball and take it, and, I would never do that. Ever. Would I stand over two bodies at the end of the fight without a scratch? Hardly likely. Would I "win"? What is your definition of winning? Getting some technically brilliant hits in? Standing over the bodies? As I said before, for me it is getting away as fast as possible with as little damage as possible. I am a fairly lightweight small person, I can't use my body size or strength to my advantage, I have to use speed, technique and accuracy. And that is one of the reasons I train kung fu, to improve in these areas. It also depends on who attacks. I think it would be easier to fight 2/3 women of my height/weight range then 2/3 men who are 6 foot 200 lbs. It would be easier to fight someone with no martial arts experience. This is why I asked you to rephrase your question, because I see so many factors involved.

I watched the brawl in Turkey..that guy in the black jacket did a great job keeping people away from him while keeping his hands up. He was alert and on his toes - the other guys were mostly taking wild swings.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I had to once, ended quit badly for me but it was not something I had prepared for. Looking back it was only my backing of and tripping up that did for me. If I had moved foreword and attacked I would have beaten them (it was only when I tripped up myself walking backwards that they could damage me as I was on the ground to be kicked like a football) they had poor rooting and no power.
As it was I was not the only one bleeding at the end. You can fight multiple people but you need the right state of mind. I was to busy trying to avoid it when in reality I was left with no choice, if I had grasped the reality and kept an attacking mentality it would have gone better. I guess I am just to nice :p I really don't want to fight people.

I am alive however and will live to fight another day or hopeful not fight. I want to incorporate more multiple opponents in drill but its hard to organise with friends ect. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I personally think that it is very difficult to fight more one person at a time, the skill of fighting in a multiple opponent situation is to only be fighting one person at a time.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:08 pm

yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 am

That is the skill of it lol, its a different set of skill to face one person at a time wile keeping the rest of your back. Read Miyamoto Musashi the book of five rings :)

Also not really a game for ground fighters. I know a guy who got encircled so had to fight all at once an he did well using Choy lay fut to keep them off.

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I have heard of Choy li fut being good for multiple opponents but have never seen it.

"When a fight comes, always endeavour to chase the enemy around to your left side. Chase him toward awkward places and try to keep him with his back to awkward places. When an enemy gets into an inconvenient position, do not let him look around but conscientiously chase him around and pin him down. In houses, chase the enemy into the thresholds, lintels, doors, verandas, pillars and so on, again not letting him see his situation.
Always chase the enemy into bad footholds, obstacles at the side and so on, using the virtues of the place to establish predominant positions from which to fight. You must research and train diligently in this."
Musashi Miyamoto, The Book of Five Rings
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 am

I always fall back on Musashi Miyamoto when in doubt. The man really new what he was on about and his life was the proof of his teachings :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

fighting multiple oponents

Postby oldstudent » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Here is the story as I remember hearing it. There was a situation where one of Master Yang's classmates fought multiple oponents. He backed himself into a corner so that no one could get him from behind. Also the attackers could only approach him from 3 directions, (left, center, and right). Because his martial arts skill was exceptional, he beat up the attackers causing serious injury. I believe that he was then put in jail by the police because he hurt them so badly. If I am correct...Master Yang's Master was so upset by this he did not teach again and because of this much of his knowlege went with him to his grave. Master Yang's Master was upset with his student because he did not teach Martial Arts so that it could be used to hurt others. Master Yang's classmate could have avoided the confrontation but because his MORALITY was poor he chose to fight the enemies so that he could show all of them how proficient his skill was. This was a very sad day. The reason why Master Yang dedicates himself so much to researching, teaching, and writing Martial Arts is because much of the Art has been senselessly lost. He will not let his knowledge die with him. We are all in his debt. Old Student
oldstudent
Forum User

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 am

Well said oldstudent.

Sadly much has been lost. Also sadly the need to defend yourself is still there.
Since I started focusing my training on Dr Yang's books and DVD's I have improved markedly. At the moment I am working on White Crane hard Chi Gong and it has really allowed me to improve on things I have been practising for years.

Still I need to find people to train with so I can practice multiple opponents lol, sadly its hard to find dedicated traditional martial artists and MMA knuckle heads (term of affection lol) come on to hard for early stages of drilling. Ego makes progress hard when working with partners :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Multiple opponents?

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon May 05, 2014 3:12 pm

With western rapiers three musketeers style. Real test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKg0Hc7YIA#t=49
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Sparring and Fighting