I think this video nicely sums up much of what is wrong with

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

I think this video nicely sums up much of what is wrong with

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed May 19, 2010 4:23 pm

I think this video nicely sums up much of what is wrong with modern MA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqymkeKd ... r_embedded

Poor morality

Poor Mobility

High vulnerability

Long duration

I guess I am some what outspoken against BJJ and MMA as fighting arts as opposed to sport (love them as sport) however this nicely makes my point. What would have happened if....

1, the man's friends helped him?
2, there was anything unpleasant on the ground?

And really what is the point of provoking a fight with a cheeseburger obsessed fool? The BJJ player was just lucky his opponent couldn't fight and didn't bite.

P.S. I know he could have used some ground and pound but it still would have been to long immobile and vulnerable to others and taken to long.

Even if you disregard morality the fact is you would end up in jail. If a guy comes at you and you punch him you could say its self defence but if you the wrestle him to the ground get in a dominant position and repeatedly pound his face I don't think you would have a good defence case.

There was no reason for this fight.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

People like that angry cheeseburger man are so abundant in the USA

I mean that guy is hands down the average American, big, white stupid and angry and hungry for a cheeseburger.

The guy who was teasing the big stupid man should be ashamed on himself, picking on that walking toddler who was verbally assaulting all the people there.

Florida state law allows you to kill people yelling at you, out of fear they will attack you, this the "no-retreat law" it means that when a person who is visibly upset approaches you, you have the right to draw a weapon and end their life to protect your own from a possible deadly threat. You have no obligation to retreat or to use less than lethal force under this law, which is found in several states not just Florida.

I didn't see any BBJ, just high-school wrestling type moves.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu May 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Looking at it again I think you could be right about it not being BJJ but the points I made stand for both BJJ and collage wrestling. Your on the floor for a minimum of 30 sec and at the mercy of all comers for that time.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 am

I agree in theory, to use locks or holds tactically means you have become a restraining device, this is a critical compromise of ones ability to defend self and others.

But on the other hand I was taught some very quick maims and breaks using BJJ that go through the same postures as the locks but spiral fracture or dislocate the limbs and neck very quickly, things that are illegal in UFC incidentally, basically instead of getting them to tap out from pain, you just keep going with the move and the person is maimed severely.

BJJ can be as devastating as Chin-na, when played a certain way
luckily sport-fighting forbids this type of play and few schools practice it, most focus on submission, which as you and others point out is flawed in practical application.

I have seen friends of a man who was taken down run in and attack a man holding him resulting in significant head injuries to the man trying to fight using wrestling and pinning moves. Then when the man lost consciousness everybody he fought fled the scene. I agree that BJJ is deeply flawed in much of the stated applications, no matter how good the player is at making people submit or holding them there.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat May 22, 2010 7:54 am

I agree its not that I don't see the point of having a ground game I just think that it has has increasingly been given a place way out of proportion. The US marine core now use it! grate for arresting terror suspects but suicide in a battle against a numerically superior foe.

If you get pulled to the ground its better to know how to fight there but to base your game plan on that is madness. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Sparring and Fighting