breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn to qi

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, Inga, nyang

breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn to qi

Postby tianshiz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm

In the understanding qigong dvd, the master talks about how breathing exercises converts the false dantian fat into qi. Has anyone seen this happen noticeably? I have a somewhat flabby stomach, I'm not fat or anything, but it's far from being toned and fit. I'm planning to train on normal breathing and then progress to reverse ab breathing.

Say I do this for 6months, how much fat could I noticeable cut off?
tianshiz
Forum User
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:33 am

it will enhance the body's natural mechanism, but dont rely on this as your method of getting rid of some fat. exercise and give yourself a good sweat every single day and that will do wonders for you!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: CT

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 am

tianshiz wrote:In the understanding qigong dvd, the master talks about how breathing exercises converts the false dantian fat into qi. Has anyone seen this happen noticeably? I have a somewhat flabby stomach, I'm not fat or anything, but it's far from being toned and fit. I'm planning to train on normal breathing and then progress to reverse ab breathing.

Say I do this for 6months, how much fat could I noticeable cut off?


The concept is utterly absurd, i.e. turning stomach fat in qi. That being said, one can decrease abdominal adiposity (stomach fat desposition) with the appropriate regimen as in walking jogging, abdominal exercise(s) and the 'proper dietary changes'.

Age, abilty and suitability for exercise / physical exercise will determine the extent of losing this fat stomach syndrome we often see in US society.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 am

Fat IS stored excess calories. aka Energy. When we metabolize fat in the body, it is converted into energy. That's qi. Nothing absurd about it.

You cannot just practice abdominal breathing and metabolize much fat though. Abdominal massage is also a part of it. And of course, exercise is needed to burn fat. But realize that if you're exercising, you are manifesting energy, not conserving it.

So, how and what you practice depends upon what your goals are.
Dvivid
Forum God
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:48 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby brer_momonga » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am

Yes, technically it is Qi - but I think the issue is whether or not said Qi is of good quality and able to freely circulate thoughout the entire body.
Perhaps Yeniseri meant that someone shouldn't allow themselves to be fooled into excusing away their excess stomach fat by calling it "stored Qi."

Still, there's a lot to be said for at least gaining awareness of Qi. There's great health potential in that. Everyone's got to start somewhere...
brer_momonga
Forum Specialist
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby yeniseri » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 am

Dvivid wrote:Fat IS stored excess calories. aka Energy. When we metabolize fat in the body, it is converted into energy. That's qi. Nothing absurd about it.

You cannot just practice abdominal breathing and metabolize much fat though. Abdominal massage is also a part of it. And of course, exercise is needed to burn fat. But realize that if you're exercising, you are manifesting energy, not conserving it.

So, how and what you practice depends upon what your goals are.


I cannot, in good faith tell someone that stomach fat is qi, with a straight face! That's just me!
I would say that stomach fat is bad for one's health, it is a bad for the internal organs, it becomes an extra 'endocrine organ' and it decreases lifespan. There are hormonal influences, which I would not label qi, but I would say that losing abdominal fat is a notewrothy goal and only aerobic exercise with some weight training can influence a better quality of life.

The better choice of losing abdominal fat is aerobic exercise as a start! QIgong would be unrealiable but it can surely beused in conjucntion with walking.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby joeblast » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

context, context :)

of course fat is qi - highly condensed, high caloric density, of course! how to convert into a more usable form of qi is the question really being asked here. its just like the sun - we can very easily utilize X amount of its energy, but there is exponentially more of that energy that is simply unavailable for us to use, until we figure out how to utilize it in a positive fashion!

if explaining to one who isnt very familiar with qi then of course it wont help telling them fat is qi, unless you are making relational statements. it shouldnt be the primary...or secondary even, method relied upon to reduce abdominal adipose, but...man, when I was in good longevity practice with minute+ long breaths, it absolutely did spark my metabolism and make yang jump forth from extreme yin. I'd hesitate to relate that if it was only once, but I've "made that progress" half a dozen different time periods now - if only I stayed that well in practice! :roll:

although, having a bad back, I simply do not let my stomach get too large or my back really lets me know its not a fan and then I have to do tons of xing shen zhuang to fix it ;)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: CT

Re: breathing exercises, how fast can the stomach fat turn t

Postby pete5770 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:18 pm

yeniseri wrote:
tianshiz wrote:In the understanding qigong dvd, the master talks about how breathing exercises converts the false dantian fat into qi. Has anyone seen this happen noticeably? I have a somewhat flabby stomach, I'm not fat or anything, but it's far from being toned and fit. I'm planning to train on normal breathing and then progress to reverse ab breathing.

Say I do this for 6months, how much fat could I noticeable cut off?


The concept is utterly absurd, i.e. turning stomach fat in qi.


+1.... I can't imagine anyone believing anything that crazy.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 pm


Return to Qigong / Chi Kung

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
©2013 YMAA | About YMAA | Privacy Policy |Terms of Use | Permissions | Contact Us