Need advice for qigong

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Need advice for qigong

Postby JeffK » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm

I've been doing 8 brocades for a bit. I want to take my qigong to the next level. Any recommendations? I guessing achieving small circulation is something that would be good.
JeffK
Forum User

Re: Need advice for qigong

Postby Dvivid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 am

Small circulation is a good goal. Also, I recommend praticing Four Gates breathing a lot. Then you can incorporate it into your qigong forms, and go much deeper, such as with the Eight Brocades.
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby yeniseri » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 pm

JeffK wrote:I've been doing 8 brocades for a bit. I want to take my qigong to the next level. Any recommendations? I guessing achieving small circulation is something that would be good.

Objectively, one should be looking at the goals of the practitioner and the ease at which baduanjin is played. Recommending achieving small circulation would be "chasing" per my conservative view so I would just recommending other 'simpler' routines, or concentrate on 'basics' before even thinking of small circulation!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby JeffK » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 am

Dvivid wrote:Small circulation is a good goal. Also, I recommend praticing Four Gates breathing a lot. Then you can incorporate it into your qigong forms, and go much deeper, such as with the Eight Brocades.

What is the Four Gates Breathing and are there any books or videos on it?
JeffK
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 am

Agreed there should be good focus on fundamentals before small circ is done. There's so much depth you can find even just doing embryonic breathing - establish that path of least resistance before going on to SC.

4 gates is laogong/yongquan breathing. Stand in zhan zhuang, inhale from the palms and feet to the dantien, exhale back to the dantien. Standing is better to learn reverse breathing imho - you need to do a bunch of work on the psoas muscle to do reverse properly, that sensitivity can be gained by doing natural breathing and learning to descend the psoas/diaphragm connection as the beginning of the inhale, then you can breathe very deeply, eventually good breath mechanics with the psoas and perineum leads to breath going so deep it externally disappears. Then you really know how to use the psoas muscle. Then utilize in reverse breathing, dont worry so much about what the front of the stomach is doing, make sure you are descending the psoas-diaphragm connection to start the inhale and you should avoid having too much back pressure from the motions. Psoas is also right in there running the kidney sinew channel down to the feet, so this provides physical basis for the yongquan breath.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am

This video teaches the four gates practice with detailed theory:
http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong_D ... igong_DVD6

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby sengtsan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm

You could also look into Ramel Rones Sunset Taichi book. He gives a step by step detailed explanation of the four gates breathing practice.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/books/internal/sunset_tai_chi

sengtsan
Forum Addict

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung