White crane theory.

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

White crane theory.

Postby Amaranth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 am

The posture is similar to brush knee done with a false stance, but I have found that just as with many of the postures, the most effective applications are performed by stepping forward with the rear leg... although in stationary push-hands: practitioners do not have the ability to see these further posture applications. What are other good posture applications you use requiring extra footwork? Also... If you are doing free-form (freestyle) pushing, and feel as though the rear leg wants to naturally drag up a bit... After one further yield (from letting it be dragged) the push that comes is nearly impossible to yield from (giving that all other things are equal). It is the same when the lead foot is dragged back... After one more forward movement- the pull is tricky to stop/avoid. How many of you practice pushing with the foundation being stationary, but whet some small firework is allowed only during application attempts? What other types of uncommonly utilized push-hands sets do you work with?
Amaranth
Forum Contributor

Re: White crane theory.

Postby Amaranth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:50 am

*some small footwork* sorry of typo... phone is on the fritz again. :)
Amaranth
Forum Contributor

Postby Josh Young » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I use stepping all the time in push hands. i was taught at least three "sets" of push hands having stepping in them. Back and forth stepping, Da Lu and free stepping, not including using circle walking in PH which I also do from time to time. That and I was taught a diagonal stepping pattern in between the back and forth stepping and the Da-Lu.

i use the white crane posture for a half dozen applications, very hard to explain with typing.

What are other good posture applications you use requiring extra footwork?

I do versions of all the formal postures with and without stepping, like a ward off with a half step up from the back foot, or with a half step forward with the front, or both.

if you are doing free-form (freestyle) pushing, and feel as though the rear leg wants to naturally drag up a bit..

I find this to be generally tru
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Amaranth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for comments... I see some stepping pushhands done as trained, but was kinda wondering if anyone has done stationary with stepping only during application attempts as well. I am interested in the other stepping patterns, and will try to employ them to get a good feel for possible movement. The for corners stepping in chen style is nice looking, but I haven't seen it done often with applications during the faster stepping. Also... is it very common that applications usually always follow from the hands being 'drawn' out to the side more than normal during stationary pushhands?
Amaranth
Forum Contributor

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan