Chi story

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Chi story

Postby pete5770 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:56 pm

A few years ago I attended Tai Chi / Qigong day at a local park. During the course of demonstrations and such, the MC, whom I know, was introducing local instructors and
pointed me out to the assembled crowd. A bit later I was approached by an obese man
who wanted a word with me. He asked me if I might be able to help him as his Chi was
"all messed up". I told him no I couldn't because I didn't believe in Chi. We chatted a while
with him telling me all about his aches, pains, and malady's. In the end I told him his problems
were almost certainly linked to his obesity and not "messed up Chi". I got the feeling that he didn't or couldn't accept my explanation. During the course of our talk I had noticed another instructor, whom I knew, sort of listening in. A little later I noticed that she had taken this man aside and had him sitting on the ground. She then proceeded to back off from him about 10 feet, assume a sort of Tai Chi stance, focus her palms toward him, and then sidestepped, slowly, in a circle around him. When she was finished she announced that, indeed, his Chi was "all messed up", and yes, she could help him with it. Now I'm not a violent man but the urge to walk up and slap the CHI right out of her almost got the best of me. Then I realized that the two of them really did deserve each other. Both might learn something from it.
Why tell this story you ask??? Because it happened and continues to happen and that's sad, very sad, for Tai Chi. The dishonesty of this little "event" was appalling to an art that has so much to offer.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Chi story

Postby caesar » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am

It's so tempting for someone not to face what really is the reason for one's poor health...and then instead get excited about theories (chi and stuff). It's easier than changing the living habits.
caesar

Postby pete5770 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:07 am

caesar wrote:It's so tempting for someone not to face what really is the reason for one's poor health...and then instead get excited about theories (chi and stuff). It's easier than changing the living habits.

Point well taken.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby carolRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm

There can be many reasons for obesity, thyroid disorder for example. Many times just plain overeating the wrong foods can be from deep emotional disorders as just one example. QI can actually balance emotional disorders as well as physical disorders, and does not need your willpower to do it, other than the willpower to practice daily. QInway system , QInway.org, heals the mind, body, and spirit in addition to releasing karma debt. (not sure that I believe in Karma, but this is the teaching) I do not make money off of telling others of Qnway, just sadens me when people comment on something they don't understand. YES, Qi can definetly balance your system, thus causing you to release weight. Those doing Qinway 3.2 seminar, loose average 10 lbs first week, and continue fom there. I did not go for weight lose, I went for other medical issues. I have done various QIGong forms over the past 30 years and have studied research papers on Qi, am not an expert, but believe that I am telling you the absolute truth that balancing QI will get at the core root of an eating disorder or metabolic disorder
carolRN
Forum User

Postby pete5770 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

carolRN wrote:There can be many reasons for obesity, thyroid disorder for example. Many times just plain overeating the wrong foods can be from deep emotional disorders as just one example. QI can actually balance emotional disorders as well as physical disorders, and does not need your willpower to do it, other than the willpower to practice daily. QInway system , QInway.org, heals the mind, body, and spirit in addition to releasing karma debt. (not sure that I believe in Karma, but this is the teaching) I do not make money off of telling others of Qnway, just sadens me when people comment on something they don't understand. YES, Qi can definetly balance your system, thus causing you to release weight. Those doing Qinway 3.2 seminar, loose average 10 lbs first week, and continue fom there. I did not go for weight lose, I went for other medical issues. I have done various QIGong forms over the past 30 years and have studied research papers on Qi, am not an expert, but believe that I am telling you the absolute truth that balancing QI will get at the core root of an eating disorder or metabolic disorder

Whether or not Qigong can help with eating disorders or weight problems was not the point of my "rant"(if you will). It was about the misuse and outright lies about a form of exercise by both people involved. The instructor had sort of secretly listened to all that the overweight person had told me, then did her little walk around him and pronounced that she had, indeed, discovered that his Chi was "all messed up". As for the big guy, well, he had never done Tai Chi but claimed to have taken a month long Qigong course and that's how he knew he was messed up. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Not about whether Qigong is real or not. It was about two really dishonest people.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby wpgtaiji » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:10 pm

yes pete, there are chisters in qigong as there are in any profession. Do you own a home? DO you live in a home/apartment/condo? Then you dealt with someone who lied! LOL Ok, real estate agents are not that bad, but i have just dealt with a bunch and their motto is "Dont tell me whats wrong, then i have to disclose it!"

In qigong, there is much more abuse. This person to which you refer is probably a "hippie" thinking she can save the world with qigong. How absurd! That does not make qigong bad, any more than a bad real estate agent makes living in a home bad. It is great that you noticed things like this pete. It means you are at least looking (or were looking). True intelligence doesnt ever stop however. It is in the moment when you say "I know that" that you loose everything. There is no such thing as "master". It is a myth created by movie makers or opportunistic martial arts novices.

please stop confusing the issue. btw, yes, one can barely call someone that does that a "teacher". But for someone (usually an ignorant wanna-be hippie) that works for them. They last a few years and go away. Look to real sources mate.
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby pete5770 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 pm

wpgtaiji wrote:yes pete, there are chisters in qigong as there are in any profession. Do you own a home? DO you live in a home/apartment/condo? Then you dealt with someone who lied! LOL Ok, real estate agents are not that bad, but i have just dealt with a bunch and their motto is "Dont tell me whats wrong, then i have to disclose it!"

In qigong, there is much more abuse. This person to which you refer is probably a "hippie" thinking she can save the world with qigong. How absurd! That does not make qigong bad, any more than a bad real estate agent makes living in a home bad. It is great that you noticed things like this pete. It means you are at least looking (or were looking). True intelligence doesnt ever stop however. It is in the moment when you say "I know that" that you loose everything. There is no such thing as "master". It is a myth created by movie makers or opportunistic martial arts novices.

please stop confusing the issue. btw, yes, one can barely call someone that does that a "teacher". But for someone (usually an ignorant wanna-be hippie) that works for them. They last a few years and go away. Look to real sources mate.

I was only a story that happened. Nothing more, nothing less. For whatever reason things like that just rub me wrong and I feel somewhat compelled to toss out a rant or two about them. I'm also an avid cyclist and follow a forum on that too. You guys are the lucky ones. I'm actually pretty nice on this forum. I think they want my head on a stake on the other.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:55 am

It is very clear you don't believe in Qi, since you've posted it in our forum, including the qigong and tai chi sections, dozens of times.

Both qigong and tai chi are founded upon the concept of qi. Your story is simple and I have no comment about why you would bother to continue ranting here, but there is one point that is not quite clear. You said:
It was about the misuse and outright lies about a form of exercise by both people involved.

The "exercise" called Tai Chi is actually an internal Chinese martial art (Taijiquan, "grand ultimate fist"). Internal arts are based on the process of increasing the qi within your own body and channeling it more efficiently, while at the same time targeting the vital qi points on an opponent. This is the root of the art, which has been clearly documented for hundreds of years in China. The opinions of guys on forums who don't believe in energy will not change that fact, no matter how many times it is repeated.

Again, for any new people who don't understand this topic clearly, a human saying "I don't believe in energy", is like a fish saying "I don't believe in water".

The fact you are reading this, means your human body is alive due to circulating energy within your 50 trillion + cells.

(On the other topic, people's qi does not get "all messed up." There is no such thing as "dirty qi". You either have clear, healthy circulation throughout the entire body, or there are places with stagnation. Stagnant places are where injuries or illness can take root. With qigong, acupuncture, etc, the goal is to relieve stagnation and improve your circulation, deep into the bones marrow and all the way out to the surface of the skin, and beyond.)
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung