Qigong for Eyesight

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong for Eyesight

Postby Sanfung » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:45 am

I recently came across this post while looking for something unrelated:

http://flowingzen.com/4068/fix-your-eyesight-with-qigong/

I was wondering if these techniques have any real value, because I haven't ever heard of them. Naturally, some of the advice here is quite good. For instance, reducing eyestrain and getting enough sleep is something that I'm sure any ophthalmologist would suggest. However, I seriously questioned the idea that glasses are necessarily crutches. I need to wear my eyeglasses for most things, but my eyesight has actually improved. Indeed, it was improving before I began practicing Qigong in earnest.

Interestingly enough, I was also performing eye exercises before I practiced Qigong. I suffer from a double vision condition called convergence insufficiency that stems from a weakness in eye muscles. Simple vision therapy exercises have been extremely helpful for me. Looking at far distances and the like has helped to partially alleviate other symptoms. Nevertheless, I felt that some of the claims in the article seemed mildly fantastical, and I wanted to ask the YMAA community here how they felt about what the author is saying.

For the record, though the author makes several mentions to vision corrective surgery, I am actually opposed to any invasive procedure to the eyes unless absolutely necessary.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Re: Qigong for Eyesight

Postby caesar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:36 am

Hi!

Have you heard of Harry Benjamin? Some recommend this guy, I honestly don't know enough about him, to know if he's honest, or just a fraud. I'll read his book some day if I need glasses.

Anyway, here's a few links if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Sight-With ... 0722527705
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/archive ... 08652.html
http://www.ivisionwithoutglasses.com/be ... -benjamin/

p.s
Don't mix him with Harry Benjamin from wikipedia, he was a different guy, "a German-born, American endocrinologist and sexologist, widely known for his clinical work with transsexualism.
caesar

Postby SarasMusic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:47 am

This is very interesting. I have been wearing contacts for 20 years and have been recently thinking about going with Lasik to fix my eye site because my alergies have gotten so bad I can't wear my contacts anymore.

Caesar - Thanks for the links to Harry Benjamin's books. I'm going to start using his techniques this weekend.

- Sara

-----------------------
top 100 songs 2012 - car air compressor
SarasMusic
Forum Newbie

Postby caesar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 am

No prob!

I don't know if this is true, but I was told that his vision had gotten so bad that even the strongest of lenses didn't work anymore for him. Then he met some kind of doctor who forbid him to use glasses, created a special diet for him and instructed Harry to do different eye muscle exercises daily. The story tells that after a year or so he could read books again and felt no need for glasses anymore.
caesar

Postby Sanfung » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:11 am

I'm actually not familiar with Harry Benjamin's work at all, so I'm ill prepared to actually give an analysis on the worthiness of it. However, I'll keep an open mind and do a little more research into it. Unfortunately, like Caesar had said, an entirely different individual comes up when one tries to research him. At the moment the exercises that my ophthalmologist has given to me are very effective.

One of the things that my training had taught me to do over all this time was learn to stop fidgeting. A major problem with my eyes was the fact that I would nervously push on them. This is naturally pretty unhealthy. My eyesight has improved since I stopped rubbing them and doing everything like that.

I'm going to look more into that link to Sifu Anthony's advice that I shared before in that original link. After discussing all of this, it sounds like ocular Qigong isn't that bad of an idea, though I will keep to my ophthalmologist's advice and continue to use my eyeglasses constantly to avoid worse problems.

SarasMusic, I'd avoid Lasik. Speaking of my ophthalmologist's advice, he once said to me that he felt eyeglasses were the safest treatment option for most people. As you said, contacts provide allergies. Corrective eye surgery carries with it a host of problems including blindness.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung