Northern Shaolin Sword

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Northern Shaolin Sword

Postby jtabajo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:18 am

I'm interested in Northern Shaolin Sword. Will there be a DVD anytime soon? I have the book now. How well do you think a person can learn from the DVD? Also, do you think that there will be a seminar on just Northern Shaolin Sword anytime soon? Or would Dr. Yang train someone in just Northern Shaolin Sword?
jtabajo
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:42 pm

We have a sword workshop that's just finished up. The next session will be in November. Forgot the date. But it's every Monday for I think 14 or so classes. This is all happening in the Boston/Headquarters YMAA.

The form is good to know and learn. It's possible to learn the form from book and/or video. This sword workshop I'm mentioning above will show you the realism and practical combative usage of using the Chinese Jian/straight sword.

Call the school for details, 617-524-8892
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby jtabajo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Boston is pretty far away. Going for 14 Mondays isn't realistic for me. However, A full day of training or two full days every once in a while might work.
jtabajo
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:46 am

Master Yang is not gonna do a seminar on this yet. Just the weekly one day workshops for now. But probably in the future he will open up a seminar on what we're working on now in the workshop. It's tough but alot of fun as well.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:44 pm

perhaps you should try the seminars. Master Yang is going to do a sword seminar in France the 9th october...i don't know where you're located though. Otherwise, should try next summer camp :wink:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:52 am

Oh, I guess he is doing sword seminars then. But only at YMAA branches I assume. It doesn't seem publicly announced. But outsiders are welcome to come train with YMAA students on sword.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:09 pm

it depends on the countries I guess...if we ask him a peculiar qigong or taiji set, taiji sword, saber and so on.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jtabajo » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:41 am

I'm in NY so Boston is closer than France. It's not thaaaat far, but it's far enough. =)
jtabajo
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 am

Well, hey. More the reason you should come to Boston for some sword training. See if you can come try one sword class with us at least during one of the 13 monday night 7:30-8:30 classes. I think it starts like November 14th. Come up for the night. It's an eye opener to see how Chinese swords are used combatively. It's not quite threatrical like a Jet Li movie.

Call 617-524-8892. That's YMAA Headquarters/Boston number. Not sure if you have to at least pay for one class if that's all you'll do for a taste of Chinese swordsmanship. It maybe possible you might be allowed to try one for free to help you decide if you wanna do all the classes. But you'll have to call and confirm. Yeah, it should be Nov. 14th first class of the new sword session. Again call. We're going into a 3rd session of sword in Boston with Master Yang.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu