Herbal treatment for swollen throat

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Herbal treatment for swollen throat

Postby Jucudeno » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:09 pm

A very good friend of mine has a reoccuring issue with a swollen throat, making eating, and even breathing difficult. I believe it's quinsy, or tonsil abscesses. She doesn't have the money to see a doctor or acquire antibiotics. Is there anything you can please advise me on that might lower the inflamation and prevent the infection from spreading?

I appreciate all help, thank you.
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Being English, one would have to suggest a nice cup of tea Arf,Arf (posh laughter). This recipe is taken from THE WAY OF TEA by Master Lam Kam Chuen.

Sweet tea
This tea is good for throat infections and sore gums. You can also gargle with the tea or use it as a mouth wash.
Green or Oolong tea of your choice
Rock sugar
850 ml (11/2 pints) of water

To make a strong brew, put 4-5 teaspoons of tea into teapot and pour in boiling water. Add rock sugar to the pot and leave to stand for 2-3 minutes before drinking.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:19 am

maybe honey can ease the sore, if your friend can swallow that. I usa honey when I cough and I think it helps.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:05 pm

honey and ginger.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

sore throat

Postby dc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:44 pm

if it doesnt go away, you should go get a throat culture to test for strep. i don't know how good the antibiotic qualities of herbal remedies are, but i would trust western medicine in that case.
dc
Forum Guru

*smiles and bows*

Postby Jucudeno » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Thank you, tea was my first thought as well. This is continuing, it comes in fits, and it goes. For a day or two, then gone a day or two.

I believe it's peritonsillar abscess. Which involves large pus-boil infections growing behind the tonsils and causing the swelling of the throat from further infection, that if left unattended, spreads into the throat and mouth and can cause suffocation. I've had this once before, and it spreads fairly slow, but it is still very uncomfortable and needs to be treated eventually.

Not happy...
But tea helps.

I hope to find her some antibiotics soon. I wish they weren't so difficult to obtain. She refuses to see a doctor, she doesn't trust them it seems. So I have to find a way to obtain antibiotics without a perscription. Fun fun fun.

Thank you for your help though, I've given her some Jasmine Green Tea, and I used honey to sweeten it.

Hopefully that will soothe her throat for now.

Much love and apprecation,
-Benjamin
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:13 am

There is an Okinawan saying “Isha-hanbun, Yuta-hanbun.” which literally translates as “half doctor, half shaman” and is commonly used to to refer to the necessity of consulting both a doctor (isha) and a shaman (yuta) in order to fully comprehend an affliction. Many Okinawans believe that while the medical doctor, with his powerful repertoire of modern drugs and technology, is essential for the treatment of the physical symptoms, the shaman is also needed to address the spiritual imbalance that is often the root cause of illness. (The Okinawa Way by B. Willcox et al.)
I can understand your friends suspicion of orthodox medical doctors, however I personally think it’s important to see a doctor if I am ill but I do it knowing that he/she can only see part of the picture and doesn't have all of the answers. Most alternative therapists would recommend the half doctor half shaman approach. I do think it’s terrible that you friend can’t afford to go to a doctors or buy medicine, I am lucky in coming from a country that has a free health service, well for the moment any way. Hope you friend gets better soon. Jo
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:20 pm

if it is peritonsillar abscess, i feel really bad for your friend. i had that once. the only way to treat it is to drain the pus, which involves three shots of novocaine to the back of the throat followed by a lancing of the area with a large-bore needle. in short you get stabbed in the back of the throat 6 times. i had it done, and it sucks. but if it is an abscess, it really should be treated. it would be dangerous to leave alone or to attempt to cure using only herbal remedies. convince her to get it checked out by a good doc.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

*smiles*

Postby Jucudeno » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:23 pm

I've been trying to convince her...
From what I've researched it is curable through antibiotics, and only larger and more infected pus-boils need to be surgically drained.

I'm hoping I can find some antibiotics for her before it worsens.

She's been experiencing fevers and cold spells lately. And spells of exhaustion, loss of muscle control.

Eh...

I wish I had money...

Oh, and it's not that she prefers Chinese medical treatment over western, as far as I know, she's never had either. She simply has a phobia of doctors, she distrusts them immensely, and thinks that their only goal in life is to sheer a person of all the money they have and leave them to die.

Happiness, eh.
*smiles* Well, I'll find some antibiotics somewhere...
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

doctors

Postby dc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:53 pm

maybe you should have her go talk to an actual doctor. an examination plus 2 weeks of antibiotics will cost you aroun $200...thats without insurance...if you don't have insurance, the eventual hospital bills are going to be about 2398423 times more than that.

off topic rant: people need to get over this whole "doctors are stealing my money!" thing. being a doctor is probably one of the most intelligent and charitable professions. if your doctor doesn't seem to care its probably because he's seen 23 other patients that day, one of whom left the icu against orders only to pass out two blocks from the door, but don't worry, he'll still save your life and then get sued when you get your head stuck in the automatic door because you are stupid. the only ones getting ripped off these days are the doctors. oh yeah, and john edwards is a complete tool.

and no, im not a doctor and have no plans to be one.

stay tuned for a rant about pharm companies and how michael moore is an idiot.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:12 pm

Two things: there HAS to be a clinic in your area which allows you to pay based on a sliding scale (low income ). Also, there's this thing called the emergency room, which will treat you immediately, and deal with payment on a schedule (again, often sliding scale) later.

Sore throat is the body's way of saying, "don't put anything in this throat hole, Im dealing with a pathogen right now, and don't want to give any energy for processing food".

She should see a doctor, try to drink water, and fast (not eat).
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby zipwolf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:41 am

I like Michael Moore.

But DC, i hope you arent going to say GOOD things about pharmaceutical companies.

There are drugs over here that CAN prevent and cure illnesses that desperately NEED to be cured and prevented.

And are all safe

However there is a final test that they all go through, and thats "Cost effectiveness testing".

Its still possible to buy the stuff for extortionate rate during that testing period, but its hard to find, little manufactured etc.

It basically means that if they dont think they turn high enough a profit, then they dont get the drugs out there in that form.

Thats a minor thing in pharmaceutical companies though.

DRs=good, Pharms=bad
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby warfreakyanix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Do you know that papaya can help your swelling throat? If you dont, try it!
warfreakyanix
Forum Newbie

Postby bhatnagarashish » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:35 am

I like this thread. It contain nice views of the members. Thanks for making thread. Keep sharing.
bhatnagarashish
Forum Newbie

Re: Herbal treatment for swollen throat

Postby nutritionslim » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Herbal Medicine An infusion of sage and thyme gargled - and small amounts drunk - every eight ho, eases hoarseness. An infusion of marshmallow leaf drunk several times a day will alleviate the inflammation of the membranes.
nutritionslim
Just Arrived

Return to General Chat