Anything on your mind whilst doing your form?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Anything on your mind whilst doing your form?

Postby hairy fingers » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:50 pm

I read that it's not doing taiqi properly
if you need to think about each movement and
what happens next, where your feet need to go etc.
So what do you do with your mind during the form?
Imagine an opponent attacking you?
Concentrate on breathing and sending out qi to the right places?
hairy fingers
Forum Contributor

Postby darth_freak » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:59 pm

can a modo delete this please? wrong manip from me
Last edited by darth_freak on Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:00 pm

while you learn, you have to think...but then you're supposed to have practice so much and have such a feeling that you don't need to think at all anymore...something like "regulation withouth regulation".
though I think it's quite hard not to think during the 3rd part.

so once you got all the feelings...I worship thee 8)

so think but not too much and slower you do your form, better will your feelings develop
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:14 pm

I occassionally practice the 1st part of the Taiji form. I did Taiji years ago briefly and learned the whole form. But at this point I only remember the 1st part of the form.

When I'm doing the form, I'm thinking about world domination and stomping on every being in my way. Just kiddin. :lol:

When I'm doing the form, I feel a kind of magnetic pull and repel in my hands. Sometimes repelling like a north and north side or south and south side of 2 magnets pointing at each other and sometimes the north side of one magnet and south side of the other magnet pulling into each other, sorta. Also feel like I'm standing at the bottom of a swimming pool and as I'm doing Taiji, I am moving my limbs and body through water. Lately I've been trying something different with my hips. For example, for like "brush knee" and my right hand is going foward/left hand brushing to the left side, I am trying to keep the right hip as stationary as possible, pivoting off of my right hip as I swing/turn my left hip back behind me as as my right hand is moving foward.

I'm doing this hip thing with my Shaolin material as well. I've been doing some applications and pushing people around using this kind of hip action and it seems quite powerful. The alignment seems so strong. It's hard to describe in text here. But I like to freely discuss with anyone if they see me in person.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby Yatish Parmar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:01 am

I do the same (hip) thing.
Yatish
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby darth_freak » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:35 am

so you guys seem to be mostly into feeling...not thinking! must be a niiiice feeling!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:20 pm

The hip thing sounds like you've discovered a 'key' of using the Kua?
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Walter Wong » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:36 pm

I've always heard "use your hips" "turn your hips or butt". But find there is a little more detail to the use of hips than just merely twisting your hips. Honestly, I'm not making this discovery on my own but from my involvement with another Martial Art I study. I am experimenting with my Chinese Martial Art studies so what I maybe doing is either right or wrong.

Will you be there next Monday David? I like to discuss further with you in person regarding this hip thing. Cause it's so hip. Sorry for the pun. I couldn't help myself. Please forgive me for being cheezy. :P
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby hairy fingers » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:35 am

So...when you do the form you
feel the sensations and send energy to wherever you want?
Is that it?
I read that there should be no beginning or end of each movement, it all flows into the next one as if the form is just one move itself.
hairy fingers
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:19 am

Well, the first step is to do the form as accurately as you can. Police every small detail in your physical movements and stances. You can only stop thinking about the form if you can do it as naturally as you walk.

Can't begin to feel until you stop thinking. And you can't stop thinking til you do the form accurately.

When the form begins to feel like 2nd nature, then in between practicing the form, do this little excersise:
With your palms relaxed, have them face each other. Put your hands around your stomach height. From here look for a repulsing feeling like facing a north end of a magnet to another north end of a magnet. Like the magnets repelling each other with the same north ends or south ends, your palms will feel a similar repelling each other. Now don't look too hard for the feeling. Just relax and only pay attention.

This brings an interesting feeling. I was told this is your chi. And whatever one may call it, there's something there.

Playing this way with my palms feeling the magnetic repelling, I integrated it into my Tai Chi. During certain movements I feel my hands and sometimes arms move out from the repelling feeling. When my hands or arms came inward during a part of a form, it was like the magnetic feeling of north end and south end of 2 magnets face each other pulling each other in, this feeling helped bring my arms in.

It's tough to describe this stuff in text. It's so much easier in person to show.

Anyways, so far, that's what I'm playing with in Tai Chi. So far I haven't achieved this similar feeling in my legs.

Occassionally practicing Tai Chi feels like I'm at the bottom of a swimming pool and I'm feeling like I'm waving my hands through water. These aren't obvious feelings. You just pay attention and it's like you're in a different world.

Somethings are just there. Just because you don't see it, don't mean it's not there.

Like wind. You can't see it, but you can feel it and you know it's there. You see the affect wind has on objects around, but yet you can't see the actual wind itself.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:26 pm

I find the first feeling easy to get (feeling like the hands are repelled). I've just tried and I feel it within 1 minute at most. I like that feeling 8)
The other one seems harder to feel.
However, I've never had that feeling during taiji, only during taiji ball (practicing without a ball).

But I guess feeling come with practice...some people don't need much time, some do (I do!).
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:22 pm

Finding the feeling is much like turning the dial of a radio. You constantly adjust the dial til the sound or music comes in clear from the radio.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:49 pm

hmm... :roll: maybe I should listen to the radio more often :twisted: .

Yet, I find harder to guide the qi during taiji than during standing qigong...and it'es kina easier when I don't move...I need more practice :!: :!:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:57 pm

Practice the thirteen posters standing still,and do more of the rocking and stepping qigung Then your form and depth of understanding will deepen;much more quickly.There is just to much to concentrat on when first learning the form.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jellybean » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 am

LOL I listen to Aerosmith whenI practice
my grandpa calls me a disgrace

I think yoru're suppose to feel the body when you are moving, imagining the power that travels in you're body as you move. It's hard to concentrate after say 20th 30th time. The bain just wonders off to other things. :wink:

The butt is acutally a really strong part of you're body. If you think like this.
The tail bone is considerble the cable between you're spine and hip bone. The location of that part of you're body is right behind Dan Tien(my pinying is lame). Dan Tien is one of the three qi's heaviest gathring spot.
jellybean
Forum Contributor

Postby keniz138 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 am

My .02 for what its worth....pay attention and relax. Be aware of feeling, sound, warmth, let thoughts float by like passing clouds.
keniz138
Forum Regular

Postby Modderrhu » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:54 am

Walter Wong wrote:During certain movements I feel my hands and sometimes arms move out from the repelling feeling. When my hands or arms came inward during a part of a form, it was like the magnetic feeling of north end and south end of 2 magnets face each other pulling each other in, this feeling helped bring my arms in.
I once felt that attraction after doing the standing Qigong set with reverse abdominal breathing. I thought I was feeling things that just weren't there, especially as I was expecting a repulsion. I brought my hands together, and felt nothing till they were about 6 inches apart, that's when the attraction was there. Has anyone got any sort of explanation? No-one that I asked at my classes has ever felt it, so I'm glad it's not just me.

I try to concentrate on the four-doors breathing while doing the portions of the form that my muscles know well. I just try to concentrate on moving the Chi to where I want it.
Modderrhu
Forum User

Postby DOM » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:39 pm

before I ever did any internal training,my massage instuctor who is also a holistic Dr.Tought use how to invision a bright light entering through the crown point(baihue)down throu the arms and out the palms of the hands.Holding the hands about 6 inches from each other to o start with.He then told use to invision the feeling of holding two magnets with the the same poles facing each other.After a short wile you could feel as if you were holding two magnets and they were resisting each other.He said to practice this further and further apart.After some practice you can get this feel almost the moment you think about it.This in no different then the feeling in the arms during taichi ball breathing exsept that the feeling you get is the intire arm not just the palms.When I train white crane soft chigung often I get a similure feeling,but some what differant. as my arms flap forward or backward it feels as if my arms are pushing against the wind(air)inside and outside of arms depending on which direction I am flapping.I have practiced this in water(pool)and feel that it helped me in this type of feeling and visualation .
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan