CURRENT STATUS (): All orders and shipments are on time. Please come back daily for updated conditions and helpful recommendations. More
- Served for twenty years in the New York City Police Department, retired as Lieutenant
- Adjunct Professor at the State University of New York-FIT
- Chief Executive Officer of Ares Tactical and Emergency Management Solutions, LLC
- Member of New York Tactical Officers Association
- Member of International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association
DANIEL MODELL served for twenty years in the New York City Police Department across a range of patrol commands in several boroughs. Awarded some twenty medals and twice promoted during his tenure, he retired as a Lieutenant. He served as Coordinator of the Tactical Training Unit and as Training Coordinator of the Firearms and Tactics Section for the agency. He is a certified Force Science Analyst and functioned, during his tenure with the New York City Police Department and beyond, as a court-certified force expert in criminal and civil cases, a number of them highly publicized.
Mr. Modell is adjunct Professor at the State University of New York-FIT, where he developed the curriculum for and teaches The Art and Practice of Self-Defense.
He is Chief Executive Officer of Ares Tactical and Emergency Management Solutions, LLC, through which he administers self-defense and tactical training seminars to a broad range of institutions, among them, City College of New York, Hostos Community College, New York City Department of Investigation, New York City Department of Finance, Drug Enforcement Agency, New York City Bureau of Fire Investigation, Westchester County Department of Probation, Westchester County Police Academy, Cardinal Spellman High School, Academy of Mount Saint Ursula, Valley Central School District and Washingtonville School District, in addition to private instruction.
Mr. Modell has published a number of essays and articles on topics ranging from the phenomenon of rapid mass murder and use-of-force case law to broader areas of policing as specified:
- The Psychology of the Active Killer, Law Enforcement Executive Forum, Vol. 13, No. 4, December 2013, pp. 1-9.
- Roots of the Reactive Posture, The ILEETA Journal, Winter Edition, Vol. 5, Edition 3, 2015, pp. 12-18.
- Case Law and Decision-Making, The ILEETA Journal, Vol. 5, Edition 4, 2015, pp. 14-17.
- Pit Bull May Have Startled NYPD Cop Responding to Domestic Violence Call, New York Daily News, Thursday, March 24, 2016.
- Mythologizing Killers: How Language Distorts Debate and Response. The ILEETA Journal, Spring Edition, Vol. 6, Edition 2, 2016, pp. 14-18.
- Arming NYPD Cops with Long Guns is Wrong Response to Shootings, New York Daily News, Thursday, July 21, 2016.
Additionally, he has been interviewed by the New York Times and the New York Daily News in connection with a number of articles centered in issues of policing.