Dr. Roger Jahnke
Dr. Roger Jahnke, O.M.D., is a doctor of Classical Chinese Medicine who has dedicated his professional life to sharing the powerful ancient healing traditions of China. He is the director and chief instructor of the Institute of Integral Qigong and Tai Chi, Santa Barbara, California; and the cofounder and chairperson of the board of the National Qigong Association. He serves as a consultant to hospitals, social service agencies, and corporations in Complementary and Integrative Medicine (CAM / IM), wellness, and medical cost reduction.
With over 40 years of clinical practice as a physician of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, and ten research tours to China to study healing traditions, Dr. Jahnke has emerged as a key spokesperson for tai chi (taiji) and qigong (chi kung) and is a master teacher of these arts. He has studied hundreds of forms of Qigong with master teachers and visited numerous hospitals, institutes, training centers, temples, and sacred sites in China, focusing on the cultivation of qi (chi).
Dr. Jahnke has presented at major conferences on advances in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) throughout the United States. He has lectured on self-healing and emerging trends in health care and medicine to numerous hospital systems and health care associations, including the HealthCare Forum; the Catholic Health Association; the American Medical Association; the National Wellness Institute, Stevens Point, Wisconsin; and the American College of Healthcare Executives, Chicago, Illinois. He is a contributing author to numerous books on health promotion methodologies for both clinical providers and health care administrators.
Dr. Jahnke's pioneering first book in 1997 The Healer Within: The Four Essential Self-Care Methods For Creating Optimal Health, delivered the qigong and taiji revolution to a broad and general audience in the Americas and the European community. In 2002, Roger's second book The Healing Promise of Qi: Creating Extraordinary Wellness Through Qigong and Tai Chi, distilled the best and most important lessons gleaned from master Qigong teachers, with guidelines for tailoring a self-healing regimen for any age or medical condition.
The workshops and training sessions that Dr. Jahnke conducted at retreat centers such as Esalen Institute, Big Sur, California; the Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, New York; and Kripalu in Lenox, Massachusetts, inspired teacher, health care professionals and citizens throughout the entire world. Dr. Jahnke's message is simple, striking, and empowering:
The most profound medicine is produced within us, through the balance and harmony of physiology, mind, and spirit.
According to Dr. Jahnke, all of the necessary components of radiant health have been in place within us since the beginning of the human race. Both ancient and contemporary philosophers and physicians have pointed to our naturally occurring self-healing capacity and contemporary medical research is has confirming the numerous benefits of Qigong and Tai Chi practice to enhance this capacity. Dr. Jahnke resides in Santa Barbara, CA.
- Authored The Healer Within (Harper Collins, 1999) used in Mind-Body programs worldwide and The Healing Promise of Qi (McGraw-Hill, 2002), an instant classic in the western literature on qigong and tai chi.
- Co-convened the National Expert Meeting on Qi Gong and Tai Chi in collaboration with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the National Blueprint for Active Aging.
- Edited and translated the clinical chapters for Chinese Medical Qigong (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2010), the first English translation of the only official textbook of medical qigong, used in colleges and universities of Traditional Chinese medicine in China.
- Published a comprehensive review of the evidence base of the health benefits of tai chi and qigong in the prestigious American Journal of Health Promotion July/August 2010, Vol. 24, No. 6. in collaboration with Arizona State University and the University of Arizona.
- Integral Qigong and Tai Chi Instituteofintegralqigongandtaichi.org
- Healer Within Foundation Taichieasy.org/founder-drrogerjahnke.html
- Qi-Empowered Patient: Chinese Mind-Body Energetics in the Integrative Medical Setting, February 27, 2023
- The Ethics of Mind-Body Energetics, February 20, 2023
- Qigong Produces the Most Profound Medicine, Part 2, January 30, 2023
- Qigong Produces the Most Profound Medicine, Part 1, January 23, 2023
- Meet the Author: Roger Jahnke, OMD talks with Gene Ching about writing and teaching Qigong and Tai Chi for decades (video), July 26, 2022