Fight Like a Physicist: The Incredible Science Behind Martial Arts
An in-depth look into the physics behind martial arts. Whether you are an experienced martial artist or a curious enthusiast, this book gives you an “unfair advantage” by unraveling the complex science of effective fighting techniques and examining the core principles that make them work. Did you know?
- Momentum is for knocking people over
- Energy is for breaking bones and causing pain
- A haymaker travels 3.14159 times farther than a jab
- You are only an “object” when you are rigid
Fight Like a Physicist blends inquiry, skepticism, and irreverent humor—all while punching holes in myth and mysticism. Highlights include
- Making physics your “unfair advantage,” in the ring and on the street
- Examining center of mass, pi, levers, wedges, angular momentum, and linear momentum for martial artists
- Reducing traumatic brain injury in contact sports
- Exposing the illusion of safety provided by gloves and helmets
- Overturning conventional wisdom on compliance during an assault
- Busting up Hollywood action clichés
Fight Like a Physicist reads like a manifesto on the rational practice of martial arts. It’s intelligent, fun, and dangerous—and nothing short of iconoclastic.
USA Best Books Award - Winner - 2015